Bathroom caulk cures then becomes soft/gooey after a couple showers

Old 09-15-11, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom caulk cures then becomes soft/gooey after a couple showers

Hi there. Hoping someone can help me. I have caulked this bathtub four times now and still having issues. I believe I have ruled out that the caulk is bad/old as it has cured up nicely in every other area of the bathroom. The area that is causing me grief is the area around the tub where the tub surround meets/joins the tub. The last time I did it I made sure that the area to be caulked was very clean and to be extra sure I went over it with alcohol. I also had a fan on the area for days and when I checked it before doing this job yet again it appeared dry. My sister checked it as well and agreed that it was indeed dry. I thought for sure I had it licked and went in there today to bathe and found that the caulk around the tub area was again all soft and gooey. This has happened each and every time after a couple of showers. It cures nicely and then after a couple of showers turns to goo. Am I to now suspect that the area behind the surround in contanimated or so wet that it may never dry or perhaps a leak in the plumbing behind the walls????? Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? It is my sister's house and she let this issue go for a long time. I suspect that the drywall behind it may be too far damaged/wet. Will water damaged dry wall eventually dry out? Help please. Thnaks and have a great day.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-11, 03:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

If there is drywall behind the tile and it's gotten wet - the tile job won't last too long

Today, drywall should never be used behind the tile in a tub surround or shower. Years ago the only choices was green board [drywall] or the expensive skilled labor of a mud wall. Cement board changed all of that - it's easy to install and fairly cheap.

How solid does the wall feel behind the tile? How long can this shower be taken out of service?

Old 09-15-11, 03:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
A term you are using "caulk" shouldn't be used in a shower area. Silicone or siliconized materials only. What were you using to seal the shower. This is in addition to Marksr's comments, which are probably more to the point.