Gas piping for generator

Old 09-15-11, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas piping for generator

Does anyone know the piping requirements for NG feed to a standby generator. I know the sizing requirements my concern is routing and type of pipe.

This is in the Philadelphia area - PECO energy. Generator is mounted about 10 feet from the outside gas meter. The 1" supply pipe would feed from the customer side of the meter with a TEE which also supplies the inside appliances. I want this pipe to go along the outside of the house for about 8 feet and then 90 deg to the generator which uses an approved rubber hose connection for vibration. There would also be a shutoff prior to the hose connection.

PECO installed the meter first 5 feet of input to the house when I had gass installed some 20 years ago. They used galvanized 1" pipe. I used all black iron pipe and fittings beyond that.

Should the extension from the meter to the generator be galvanized? Are there any requirements as to height above ground? Could it go along the ground? Could it be painted? I would like to hide it as much as possible.

Does anyone have any input on codes national or local or PECO regarding this?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-11, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Why dont you bury it? Copper I believe is still allowed for short runs. You need to flare and use flare fittings.

The plastic gas pipe for underground is another option. But the end pieces are expensive.

Trac pipe cannot be used outside unless you sleave and vent it.

Otherwise galvinized. Make sure you paint the joints with the pipe paint. Puts the protective coating back on.

Dont lay it on the ground. Run it along the foundation. Tuck it up high enough that it may hide under the siding somewhat.

Mike NJ

Old 09-15-11, 10:11 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Try this page.

Natural Gas Pipe Size Chart and Installation Information.

Some areas do not allow galvanized piping for fuel gas service and some areas don't allow black steel pipe. Since the existing outside piping is currently galvanized I suspect that such IS allowed in your area. Certainly the pipe can be painted. I would use an oil-based primer, two coats and then you can paint it to match the house.