Indoor Water Valve drips

Old 09-16-11, 06:39 AM
Indoor Water Valve drips

Arrow points to the where the drip is coming from. If you look closely, you can actually see the bead of water forming:

When the water valve is turned on, it drips a lot. Enough to flood a decent amount around the pipe area. Turned off, it still drips enough to fill a medium size bowl in a day or so.

I thought just tightening the packing nut might stop it (although I haven't tried that yet), but a guy who works for the City and does pipe work came in to take a look at it, and he said that the packing inside needs to be changed (graphite packing).

I called a bunch of plumbers and no one wanted to bother to come give an estimate, including Roto-Rooter that just decided not to show up for their scheduled appointment.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-11, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator
It very likely might need repacking...but you can certainly try turning the nut down a bit. Do it with the valve open. The fact that it leaks with the valve closed as well means the valve needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

Old 09-16-11, 07:11 AM
I had a similar problem some years ago.The solution was to GENTLY tighten the large hex connection that the stem passes through.I recall using a second wrench to guard against twisting the entire assembly.
If that doesn't work, the next step would be to remove that same hex nut (after shutting off the water to the valve), and replace the stem packing.
good luck!

Old 09-16-11, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
That valve is on the street side???

Make your own packing. I cant remember if I ever did it with the water on, or how wet you may get. With the valve open loosen the packing nut all the way to expose the stem. Wrap teflon tape that has been twisted thred like. Wrao around the stem clockwise 6-8 times. Thread packing nut back on. Leak should stop.

The other option is to have the city turn the water off at the street and replace with a ball valve.

Mike NJ

Old 09-16-11, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by lawrosa View Post
That valve is on the street side???
My mistake. I should've mentioned that it's in the basement.

Old 09-16-11, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Yes its in the basement. But if you wanted to change or service that valve the water needs to be turned off at the street.

Mike NJ

Old 09-16-11, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by lawrosa View Post
Yes its in the basement. But if you wanted to change or service that valve the water needs to be turned off at the street.

Mike NJ
Oh, by street side you meant closest to the street. I misinterpreted that somehow.

Old 09-16-11, 04:13 PM
NJT
OK, so is it on the street side of the water meter, or not?

Is that valve the shutoff for the whole house then?

I would replace that valve with a ball valve as Mike suggested, but would also replace those galvanized nipple and elbow as well.

Isn't stuff on the street side of the meter the city's responsibility?

Old 09-16-11, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
Thats the poly pipe coming up through the slab in the pic. That poly goes out to the street. Thats why I said it was street side. May of not been posted and I assumed by the visual.

Depends on where you live. Here in "Joisey" the water companys are responsible for piping up to the curb key only. And of course just the meter its self. The homeowner is reponsible for pipe from curb to home, and all valves and fittings. They wont even fix or change the yokes. They will tell you to get a plumber.

All they do is come and set the meters and/or remove them. The plumber pipes the yokes so the water man comes and just hooks it up. There other task is to stick a key in a hole in the yard to turn your water on and off. Some towns charge $150 to do it. Some towns will not let the plumbers turn off the water. They get mad...boo,hoo!!!!

I have every type of key made. They cant keep me out...Muuuhhhhh!!!!... Sorry got carried away.

Anyway it keeps all the mayors cousins, brothers employed....

Mike NJ

Last edited by lawrosa; 09-16-11 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-16-11, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
OK, so is it on the street side of the water meter, or not?
I'm probably misunderstanding. The valve is in the basement on the side of the basement that's closest to the street, but it's not outside. There is a meter on the valve in the basement. I never saw a water meter outside of this house. The only meter on the outside of the house is for electric service.

Is that valve the shutoff for the whole house then?
Yep.

I would replace that valve with a ball valve as Mike suggested, but would also replace those galvanized nipple and elbow as well.
Yeah, it's pretty worn.

I hope so. Less for me to spend

I'm going to call them about that. In my dealings with them in the past though, they don't tell you much in my city.

Old 09-16-11, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah...street side means between the water supply from the city and the meter...no matter where it's physically located.

Old 09-30-11, 05:24 AM
Same issue this week

I just had this issue under bathroom sinks where valves were over 20 years old. Problem is that over time the seal at the handle gets brittle. When I turned off valve to replace faucets, the seal broke & it leaked when valve was open. My fix was pretty simple (assuming you have a main shutoff somewhere you can access). I bought new valves & just took the handle & connected valve mechanism out of new valve. I then took old handle & mechanism out of old valve, wrapped threads with plumbers tape & put in new handle with the guts of the new valve. The make (Brass Craft) and model of valve had not changed in over 20 years. If you can turn off water for a while (not shared with others), take your handle & valve mechanism to home supply store & find a valve with the same guts. Take a small adjustable wrench with you. Bet you find a valve exactly like the one you have. By just replacing the valve mechanism, you avoid having to deal with the main pipe assembly ,,, however it looks like it could all stand to be replaced.

Old 09-30-11, 02:53 PM
NJT
Yer lucky that you found the exact same parts Ed!

Thing is though, that valve IS the MAIN shutoff for the house!