Gas Meter Spacing

Old 09-18-11, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Meter Spacing

I have had a couple of estimates on central AC and one said the requirement is 12 feet, the other 10 feet for the distance of the compressor from the gas meter. I did some checking and South Jersey Gas which serves my community has the following requirement -

10. Where will SJG install my meter?
The standard location for our meter is in the front of the home or on the opposite side of your driveway. We also require a 3 distance from a window, dryer vent, electric meter, or AC unit.

My gas meter is right under my electric meter and between two windows. The distance is just about 3 feet.

So why would I get these much greater and varied distances from the installers. What is the requirement in other areas?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-11, 07:43 AM
Call your building codes dept at city hall and ask them. Or go on-line to their web site and read the codes there.

Old 09-19-11, 08:41 AM
What DaleC said. Sort of.

You can bet that information from SJG is code compliant so checking with local building officials should be only confirmation whereas you're seeking correction about the installers' statements. Sounds to me like your "installers" either forgot or never knew the requirements. While you're talking to city hall, confirm if a permit is required for this work. It didn't used to be in most places, but that was before the Great Freon Scare. Now, because of the lack of compatibility between the new refrigerants and old equipment plus the changes in refrigerant capture requirements, certification and/or inspection are more and more the norm and worth verifying.

Which brings me to: Are plumbing/mechanical contractors licensed in NJ? If they are supposed to be, license status would be a good thing to investigate before committing to spend money with one of them. Also, get the name of their insurance agent(s) in order to obtain certificates of insurance for their workers comp and liability coverages. It has happened that COI's have been falsified by unscrupulous operators which is why you should always go to the agent.

I didn't mean to be so preachy, but I'm in the middle of helping undo a mess for another person who has become my customer after they were seriously fondled by one of the aforementioned unscrupulous operators because they didn't perform their own due diligence. I really want to help people avoid so much trauma, but just like Cecil Adams at http://www.straightdope.com it's taking longer than I thought.

Old 09-19-11, 03:33 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm sorry that I don't have anything to add, but I want to say that Doug's last paragraph is priceless... " seriously fondled " ... excellent! wish I had thought of it... thanks Doug!

Old 09-19-11, 09:53 PM
I think I got my answer today. I had my fourth installer here today for an estimate and he said that it really is three feet and he has actually seen compressors built on platforms over gas meters. I guess in some shore areas space is really limited. I guess this shows you how much BS you can get from installers. If they can't get that right then you wonder what else they would screw up!!!