Replacing Lead Drain Pipe in Kitchen

Old 09-21-11, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing Lead Drain Pipe in Kitchen

Hello,

I'm remodeling my kitchen (3rd floor) in a three family house with all public connections. I've run into a lead drain pipe that is probably original (house was built in 1930) and was thinking it was a good idea to replace it.

More importantly, I'm also trying to move the drain pipe over to the right about a foot for the new location of my sink and currently the cast iron Y is coming straight out of the wall. I would like to turn it to the right (if looking at picture below) to get into the next bay where the sink will be located.

I was thinking of cutting out the cast iron Y and using a neoprene sleeve to connect a PVC Y facing in the direction I want.

Can I do it this way? Is there a better way to do it? It seems like I have cast iron vent pipe to lead drain pipe to copper drain pipe. I plan on rearranging a lot of the bathroom plumbing so I'm trying to figure out the simpliest and most professional way of doing this.

In the second picture the lead drain pipe connects to a copper pipe. I think 1.5 ''. Again, i will need to make another connection there.

Any guidance is very very much appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Anthony

Pictures didn't load using the site's "insert image." Hope this works. Here are the links:

IMG225 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG216 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-11, 07:22 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
That pair of studs to the right of the pipe... those appear to be carrying a 'point load' to structure, in other words, load bearing. I don't know that I would be real quick to cut into them until I was sure I wasn't damaging supporting structure.

Just a thought before we continue...

Old 09-21-11, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Whlasala,

I thought you had a vent issue and were going to replace that stack?

Seeing what you found, I would take it back as far as you can and pipe the home in PVC. Instead of turning that ty. This way during the repipe you can come into whatever bays you wants from coming through the floor and not through main supports.

Mike NJ

Old 09-21-11, 07:56 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I think yer thinkin' of a different poster Mike... but you might remember his name from the boiler forum when he was removing a radiator?

Old 09-21-11, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is the top floor and it doesn't support anything above other than the framing of the room (I think - will definitely look at it closer next time I'm there).

Also, I believe those studs were sistered because maybe at one point there was a door way there.

Thanks NJ Trooper though for the heads up.

I'm I approaching this in the right way? Or should I just leave it alone and keep the oringal lead pipe there and build off that connection with pvc and run it through a false wall behind my cabinets to get to the new sink location?

I just feel like now is the time to upgrade especially since the lead pipe really gets squeezed and thins out as it goes underneath into the bathroom. I feel like with a new kitchen and garbage disposal I'm destined to clog this up or worse it starts leaking.

Any help is very appreciated. I'm hoping to tackle this new plumbing soon.

Thanks again.

Anthony

Old 09-21-11, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
think yer thinkin' of a different poster Mike
Yeah, the plaster and lath looked familiar.

All I could say is while its all open, keep the copper, and replace all the rest with PVC. Probably the only opportunity you will have.

Mike NJ

Old 09-22-11, 06:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
I wouldn't cut out that tee. Too much work. I'd either go with Mike's suggestion to tear it all out and replace it how you want it with PVC or just come out into the cabinets as-is and use the trap arm to position it where you want it.

Since you've already torn everything else out, I'd probably go for the replumb with PVC option. Who knows when that cast iron is going to fail or clog....