Fiberglass Pipe Insulation

Old 09-27-11, 06:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Fiberglass Pipe Insulation

Has anyone used Buy Insulation Products for buying pipe insulation? They seem to have really good pricing and a good selection:

Last edited by Gunguy45; 09-27-11 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Removed links to commercial site
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-11, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
IMO its a waste of money. The R-value is so small.

Mike NJ

Old 09-27-11, 08:17 AM
Mike's right. It's worthless cheap crap not worth the time or the money.

Mike has hit on a different way to deal with spammers? Post your opinion of the product/site they are humping.

Old 09-27-11, 09:44 AM
I disagree. Rigid fiberglass is the industry standard for pipe insulation and it is the standard for a very good reason, it is effective. I am considering buying from them if I can't get at least an equivalent price from my local (industrial) supply house.

I will state that I recommend no less than one inch thick wall and thicker is better.

Mike / Wayne, maybe you are confusing the rigid pipe insulation with the cheap fiberglass wrap available from any homecenter or corner hardware store. I do agree that those wraps are only slightly better than worthless but so is the foam insulation with the 3/8 inch wall that the same places sell.

Old 09-27-11, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Furd I am talking payback. I will find the statistics but the money spent compared to the savings is nil. ( You know this..) Although pipe insulation combined with energy savings appliances, house insulation etc is the overall theory to go green.

There are certain situations you can argue. I for example sealed my crawl and added 8 ft baseboard to my small crawl. I want the heat to radiate off my pipes down there. It warms the floor since I have no floor insulation. Only walls and sill plates are insulated. I feel that saves in heating costs. Others may argue its a waste to heat a crawl.

If you are going to insulate pipes I agree with insulation but go with the best. Shown here Phenolic foam has a 7.69 r value. The highest I have seen.

Technical Data

But like you or someone else stated, going green sometimes cost you.

I think this topic has beed covered 10 fold.

Mike NJ

Old 09-27-11, 11:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I was asking about buying from the site, pretty much set on buying fiberglass pipe insulation.

Old 09-27-11, 02:57 PM
NJT
I find that the cheapo cellular foam stuff is fine for doing COLD water pipes to prevent sweating in the summer. I wouldn't want to use fiberglas on those.

Depends on the goal of the insulation as to whether it's worthwhile or not I think.

Old 09-27-11, 07:12 PM
Trooper, while expensive the rigid fiberglass is fine for keeping the cold water lines from sweating as long as all the joints are properly sealed to exclude the moisture-laden air. Use hangers outside of the insulation with sheet metal between the underside of the insulation and the hanger to distribute the weight of the pipe and not crush the insulation. Truth is, this is the same method that should be used with hangers no matter what insulation is used.

Mike, I agree that as far as looking for a payback that insulating domestic hot water piping is a very long term investment UNLESS you have a recirculating system to provide (almost) instant hot water. In these cases the insulation IS important.

I also agree that a sealed and (partially) heated crawlspace is preferable to one that has four million vents (like mine) that allow all kinds of problems to exist.

As for "going green" costing... I believe what I wrote was that highest efficiency did not always equate to most economical and I stand by that statement. For example, in my climate the added expense of 90+ percent furnaces (capital and maintenance) will rarely provide any economic gain over the life of the furnace. Same is true of that darling of the greenies, the tankless water heater. But you know that!

And, Insulation man (or others reading) I don't know if the prices at that Internet company are good or bad. I think the prices they are charging for the board insulation is a bit high but it may have a shipping upcharge hidden in the pricing. Shipping of insulation products IS expensive because of the bulkiness upcharge added to the normal weight charge. ALWAYS check local suppliers (not just the homecenters but the industrial suppliers) for local prices.