Bad Water pressure regulator?

Old 09-28-11, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bad Water pressure regulator?

Hi All. I appeciate any help. I have municipal plumbing. Two pressure relief valves (one just after the incoming water pressure regulator and one at my solar pre-heat tank) are dripping significantly. My pressure regulator (probably original 1978) does allow me to reduce the house water pressure down to a slow flow, turning the nut counterclockwise. yet with this low faucet pressure, both the pressure relief valves leak. The solar value was replaced last year. The PRV just after the regulator was just replaced today. The new one leaks. Low faucet pressure with the leaking PRVs makes no sense to me.
How can this be?
Do I need to replace the regulator?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-11, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Hi,

Before you can determine anything you need to find out what the house pressure is.

Get one of these from the home store. It hooks to a hose bib.

Pressure should be 40-80 psi per code. Find a gauge that only reads up to 100 psi. It will be more acurate.

Once you find out the pressure then you can strart troubleshooting the issue.

Mike NJ

Old 09-28-11, 01:53 PM
Thanks Mike. I take it that I test it with the enire system closed save the gauge sample point wide open?

Old 09-28-11, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator
Yes no water running and hose bib open. What is reading?

Then turn on a tub and a sink and check pressure with fixtures running. Whats that pressure?

Pressure should be 40-80 psi with nothing running.

Pressure should not change much with two fixtures running. Slight drop if any.

Post back results.

Mike NJ

Old 10-01-11, 11:21 AM
I think the Jury is in

Closed system water pressure was 150psig. I opened two faucets and it droppped to 60 psig. I then cranked the regulator counter-clokwise as far as it would go. closed system still 150 psig. I opened one faucet, 20 psig. I see 6 or more regulators at the home store on 3/4 and one inch sizes. other than the size, is there anything special to look for? Is simply getting the one that slips right into my current piping (4 inches union to union) the way to go?

Old 10-01-11, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator
I would say the PRV is shot. Get one like below for your pipe size.
They are adjustable from 25-75 psi. And preset to 50 psi. I usually crank them to about 65 when I install them.

150 psi way too high. You could start blowing joints and or water heaters like to split if they are old.

Relief valve leaking at the water heater?

http://media.wattswater.com/ES-25AUB.pdf

http://media.wattswater.com/1910200.pdf

Mike NJ

Old 10-02-11, 06:57 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
150 PSI ? You mean to say that your city water pressure is 150 PSI ? I find that sorta difficult to believe!

Is there an expansion tank on the cold inlet to your water heater?

Old 10-02-11, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator
150 PSI ? You mean to say that your city water pressure is 150 PSI ? I find that sorta difficult to believe!
For locals only... Trooper Texas Rd of Rt 9 has all those townhouses. That whole street is 130psi+ I made flyers and did good sales there. PRV and expansion tank $699 installed. Was doing 3-4 a day. The town boosted the pressure for the McMansions that are down the road some. Something like that. And the town said it was not responsible for all the water heaters that where literally splitting the seams. When they let go, they dont just drip, lets put it that way.

Mike NJ

Old 10-04-11, 06:29 PM
It is all Good now

Thanks Mike. Yes,, I bought a gauge and the water pressure posted at 150 psig on my backyard spigot. I HAVE A SOLAR PREHEAT TANK before my hot water heater. It sounds like that set up might increase my water pressure. I replaced the pressure regulator and the closed system was 60 psig. I tweaked it up to 80 psig. The drop off when the system is open is only about 5 pounds. I got lucky with the pressure relief valve replacement. I found one that was an exact fit union to union. It only took me 10 minutes to install. When I used the term PRV below I was speaking of the pressure RELIEF valves just after the regulator and on my solar pre-heater that were tripping/leaking on the high pressure. Im all set. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-05-11, 12:45 PM

Easy for me to believe. There is a section of Boulder that runs about 165. I have installed few regulators there. I guess the city cranks it that high to get the water to the tops of the hills.

Old 10-05-11, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
True out here as well. When I was helping a friend of my wifes with a split Flushmate tank I spoke with the owner of a plumbing supply/repair company and he said there were several areas in town where they had booster pump stations(?) (surrounded by mountains here) and the mains pressure was run at 140-150 PSI to be able to reach the outlying areas. Everyone on those systems were required to put in PRVs.

Old 10-05-11, 01:30 PM
NJT
I guess being a flatlander I'm a bit myopic... I never thought about what they have to do to get water to all y'all 'hill people' !

Old 10-05-11, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator
Are hill people the same as mountain folk?

No...I remember now......
"The hill people were humanoids from the planet Gala, one of three races of Galacians. Becoming a distinct race over a century before the Invasion of Naboo, the hill people were persecuted for having darker eyes than the so-called typical Galacian. Having fled the capital, Galu, they made dwellings in the low mountains outside the city. Not until Queen Veda of the Tallah Dynasty decreed in 44 BBY that a democratic election would choose her successor did the hill people re-assimilate. Elan, the leader of the hill people, was discovered to be the first child and heir of the former King Cana. Deciding to support Wila Prammi as opposed to running herself, Elan, along with the hill people, chose to remain in the mountains after the election, although they began building a better relationship with the citizens of Galu."

lol

Old 10-05-11, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
My grandmother used to call use gavone's. Translated by her it meant your acting like the mountain people. From Italy of course. Funny though thats where we are from, the mountains of Naples. I guess they are un civilized there...LOL

Urban Dictionary: gavone

Mike NJ

Old 10-05-11, 04:06 PM
NJT
You guys quack me up! How we can go from a pressure regulator to Star Wars is funny...

And you, Mike, don't tell me yer roots are from Quindici!

Old 10-05-11, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator
And you, Mike, don't tell me yer roots are from Quindici!
Avellino yes... You must be psychic. Been there a few times to see the relatives. Not in 15 yrs though. I dont fly anymore.

How do you know Quindici???

Mike NJ

Old 10-05-11, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Jeez...yer both in NJ...and Italian...you must be related somehow...haven't you ever watched the Sopranos? j/k!

There now we have movies and TV in the thread...lol.

Far enough OT yet? OK..I'll reign myself in....you guys promise to do the same?