Drain Pipe Vibrating/Howling

Old 09-28-11, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drain Pipe Vibrating/Howling

Earlier this week, I've noticed just my master bath sink drain makes a vibrating/howling noise after it drains. I can replicate the issue if I pour water from a container down the sink. I can hear the water running down the pipe and then the vibration/howl comes. I don't know what it's vibrating against...at first I thought it was the stuff under the sink, but I moved all of that. I live in a doublewide mobile home if that makes a difference.

I would like to know if it's something scary bad that needs a plumber or if it's something simple I can fix myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jaime

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-11, 06:59 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I wonder how that sink is vented?

You see anything that looks like this anywhere on the drain piping?

images couresy ipscorp.com

Old 09-29-11, 04:28 AM
It doesn't look like that. I assume that's what this is?

This is what the whole underside looks like:

Do those things plug up?

Old 09-29-11, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Yes they can stop working, or only partially work.

They let air into the line when water flows, and also keeps the trap from getting siphoned out when outer fixtures are used. ( Negitive pressures )

It simply unscrews. You can find them at the home stores. I would use a few wraps of teflon tape on the threads of the new one before you install it.

Trooper, good call......... I was pondering when I first read the post of what the heck it could be. Sometimes you need to think outside the box....

Mike NJ

Old 09-29-11, 03:09 PM
NJT
Trooper, good call.........
Thanks Mike, I've got good teachers! (pats Mike on back)

I'm thinking it's probably that vent valve, but unscrew the thing for a test... see if the howling goes away... do NOT be tempted to just leave it off though! Not only is sewer gas stanky, it can also killya, or blow up the place!

You don't have to use that exact same one... any one with the same threads should work just fine.

it's either that, or someone flushed a beagle.

Old 09-29-11, 03:11 PM
Do you think I could remove that one and clean it? Also, is this something really damaging to my plumbing or something I can address next week?

Thanks, Trooper and Mike!

Old 09-29-11, 03:13 PM
NJT
I don't think it would damage anything... it can probably wait till next week. I doubt you would have any luck cleaning it, it's probably the rubber flap inside drying out and maybe cracked...

Old 09-29-11, 03:15 PM
I'm just scared I'll damage the pipe it's attached to. I sometimes don't know my own strength!

Old 09-29-11, 05:56 PM
NJT
Naaahh, don't be skurred, you can do it! You shouldn't even need a wrench.

Old 10-01-11, 10:17 AM
You, Trooper Sir, are a genius!!!! The vent *was* easy to remove. I took it off, ran water, no noise. It looked ok...I ran my finger under the rubber flapper part on the underside of the vent and reattached it and it's quiet. Thank you SO much for your help!!!!

-Jaime

Old 10-01-11, 10:55 AM
NJT
Awwww... shucks... thanks Jaime, glad to help.

Just make sure she's snug enough that you don't get gas leaks from the drain coming in...

Old 10-02-11, 07:08 AM
How would I know if I had a gas leak? I got a little freaked out when you said that, so I bought a replacement vent (just in case I damaged the gasket/seal on the old one). The old one has something that looks like petroleum jelly on it. What is that and do I need that, or can I stick the new one in and not worry about gas?

(Can you tell I know nothing about this stuff? )

Old 10-02-11, 08:37 AM
NJT
Don't freak out yet! What I meant was the stinky stuff from the sewer or septic tank... that can come in if the valve ain't working right. Not like natural gas or Propane... but possibly methane (which would burn... but the odds are slim that you would get enough of that in the house... still...)

Petroleum jelly? Was it on the threads of the valve? or on the rubber flap inside?

I would say that it was probably 'plumbers grease' which is silicone based... if that's what it is and it was on the threads, it was probably put there to seal up the threads so the stink can't come in... HD Lowe's Scotty's will have the stuff in small containers... maybe an ounce or so... it would be a good idea to smear some on the threads.

Old 10-02-11, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
If you have a new one anyway, you should just go ahead and replace it. You should also wrap the threads with a few turns of teflon tape.

Mike NJ

Old 10-02-11, 09:41 AM
Well, there's nothing stinky in there, so I must not have damaged the old one.

The greasy stuff was on the threads. I kept getting it on my hands when I was looking at it. I will have to go find some of this stuff. I'm going to be really good at this plumbing stuff by the time we're done!