Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

Install sink in basement where it was stubbed for a bath (underground p-trap)?

Old 10-04-11, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My unfinished basement has the following roughed in plumbing, from say, left to right along a wall. 2" capped coming up from concrete with another 2" capped directly above it going into ceiling (likely vent tie-in), 3" toilet capped, 2" capped coming up from concrete. I'm thinking the intention was to put in, from left to right, a sink that vertically ties into the vent, toilet, then bath (which I'm assuming would be wet vented?).

The space is really small, so I was wondering if I would be able to do the following, from left to right. Connect both the 2" capped to make a vent (no fixture here), toilet, then put a sink (instead of a bath), which would be vented by the setup on the far left.

My question is, would it be okay to put a sink where they roughed it in to be a tub? I cut the cap off and can see water sitting in it, so I think there is a p-trap slightly below ground. So, there would be probably be around 48" between the bottom of the sink and the underground p-trap. Is a setup like this possible?

I can post a picture if that doesn't make sense. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-11, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Yes post a pic.

It seems like it was plumbed to code and no its not wet vented.

Yes put a sink where you said. Also that other 2" is most likely for a shower. The way its plumbed under the cement, that vent will be for the sink, toilet, and shower.

Look on this drawing left side bath group.

This is how it is plumbed under the cement, with only the stubs for each fixture coming up through the slab.

Hope this helps.

( This was my drawing for the town when I installed a bath upstairs. )

Mike NJ

Old 10-04-11, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

From Drop Box

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-c...0/basement.jpg

Based on this picture (which is a bit confusing as to how I described it earlier), in the upper left with the black cap is where I think they intended a shower. I see water collecting in that pipe, I think suggesting there is an underground p-trap. What I really want to do is put a sink, there instead, but the trap would sit approximately 48 inches below the sink. The spot for the toilet has red tape around it. The pipe closest to the bottom of the picture also has another capped pipe directly above it (for a vent, but not shown in the picture).

Would I be able to put a sink where I suggested and just connect the pipe in the bottom of the picture up to the vent, and be covered?

Please let me know if you need additional information. Thanks, again!

Last edited by wemster23; 10-04-11 at 07:30 PM. Reason: adding picture
Old 10-04-11, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
I will have to check the code but I think not. I dont know off the top of my head because I never was asked if this could be done. Or let alone have I seen it done.

That white pipe for the sink currently should be in a wall. Also the vent above.

Im still trying to figure out why they put the toilet there.

Mike NJ