Faucet Line Extension Problems

Old 10-07-11, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Faucet Line Extension Problems

I don't know if this is the right topic to post this under, but here goes...

I'm attempting to extend the water lines for my kitchen sink, and since I am unable to all-out replace the water lines that go directly from the fixture, I purchased some valve connectors to extend the lines. I have everything set up and attached, and when I turn the water supply valves on things are fine. The new valves I have attached spray water out from where the nut swivels as soon as I turn them on. I've tried tightening and loosening the connections and get the same result, but I've noticed that I can have the newly added valves opened slightly without any leakage. If I turn the faucet on with the new valves opened slightly however, water leaks out where the nut swivels.

What am I doing wrong? Do I not have the right part to connect the lines, or is there something I'm missing entirely? Any insight and advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-11, 04:56 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Can you post some pictures of the valves you are having trouble with? I can't visualize it...

You can set up a free account at Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and upload the pics there, come back here and post a link to your PUBLIC photo album.

Old 10-07-11, 05:26 PM
Here's my setup.

Old 10-07-11, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
You need to post to a place like photobucket.com. Its free. Then post the link back here.

Is it leaking from where the stem goes into the valve? If so give that nut a little snug CW.

Mike NJ

Old 10-07-11, 07:41 PM
It's leaking right where the nut is attached to the line, where the nut is able to swivel. Whenever I turn the valve on water sprays out of this area.

Old 10-07-11, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator
Did you tighten it enough? Those type of supplys seal with a rubber washer. Did you use teflon tape? If so remove it. That may be causing the nut not to screw on all the way to make the seal.

So it sounds like you connected two flex lines together? How did you join them? And where is the leak? Where they join together or where it attaches at the valve?

Mike NJ

Old 10-10-11, 04:07 PM
I tightened it as much as possible, but with the new washers I got I have a new problem. When I turn the valves on slightly, water leaks out but eventually trickles out. I can turn it open more and more slightly, each time water leaking out and eventually stopping. The leak stopping is dreadfully gradual, and if I open the valves a lot, water sprays out of where the nut swivels. I may have the wrong washers but the ordeal of the water trickling out has me confused.

Old 10-10-11, 04:24 PM
Maybe its time you extend the water lines properly. Get some copper pipe and get it closed to your fixture so you can attach the hoses to it directly.

Old 10-10-11, 04:40 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Something don't sound right... like maybe you are trying to use a compression type valve or fitting where it's not appropriate.

Take pictures... it's the only way we're going to be able to help you... we need to SEE what you are talking about.

Set up a FREE account at Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and upload your pics there. Come back here and post a link to your PUBLIC photo album.

Old 10-11-11, 07:59 PM
If this link works, here's my setup. I'm starting to think I have the wrong thing here. Eventually I'd like to install a dishwasher, so I know I'll need something to split the lines properly. Obviously this needs to be solved first.

photo23.jpg picture by Fimbulvetr - Photobucket

Old 10-11-11, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator
Gee whiz....

I dont know what to say.

In therory I guess it should work. The only think I can think of is the washers in the supply lines are shot, or the thread pattern on the 1/2 inch side of the commpression valve is different.

You could remove the valves and try these connectors that you can get at the home store...

3/8 in. x 1/2 in. Brass Compression x MPT Adapter with Insert-A-124 at The Home Depot

Or you could get something like this. It has adapters. Just go from faucet to where you need to. They are 48"

Speedi Plumb Plus 3/8 in. Compression x 3/8 in. Compression x 48 in. Polymer Coated Dishwasher Connector-B1U-48DW612 D at The Home Depot

The correct way to extend is to use delta supplys. But for some reason you have 1/2" ends hanging down from the faucet when these are normally 3/8".

Mike NJ

Old 10-12-11, 06:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Are both lines leaking are only one? Is it leaking at A, B, C, or D?

Old 10-12-11, 09:15 AM
Was wondering if those hoses are a little too short? Just looks like the one on the right might not be able to tighten up all the way and thus would leak at “C”? But the one on the left looks like it would reach better, so who knows?

Now that I look at it again, looks like maybe the one on the right actually has a little slack in it. Oh well …never mind!!!!

Old 10-12-11, 02:48 PM
The water sprays out from A. The sink itself is actually made right into the counter top itself and it was initially hooked right to the supply line. I don't know if the previous owner had modified it in any way, since he told me the sink type is now out of stock (lucky me, he got it from IKEA).

Old 10-12-11, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
If its leaking from A...most likely it's because the hose is canted going into the valve. Thats assuming the nut is separate from the crimped hose fitting.

If its one piece (nut turns when hose turns)...then its a faulty hose.

Old 10-12-11, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Are you saying the supply lines had no valves at the wall, just fittings? Is the supply line of A original and you just removed it from the faucet and added the valve? Does the "A" joint leak on both or just one of the lines?

I'm attempting to extend the water lines for my kitchen sink
Why is this necessary?