gas line from house to garage?

Old 10-09-11, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
gas line from house to garage?

So I am building a new detached garage, about 25 ft from the house. Obviously I need to consult the gas company, but the meter comes into the front of my house and garage is in the back. Would it be more feasible to branch off gas line inside the house, run throgh the basement to the garage or does the company prefer to trench it in outside? I'm expecting the gas company will take care of it but just looking for some feedback so I know what to expect.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-11, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Hi,

You would probably need to come right off the gas meter then run to the garage. If you tapped of the line in the home you most likely would starve the other appliances of gas when the appliances in the garage are running. Coming off the meter eliminates this issue.

This is how pool heaters are run and large gas loads added to the home. An example would be removing a 40k water heater and adding a 200k tankless. The old gas line would be terminated from the water heater and a new line for the tankless would be run from the meter to the unit.

You need to know how many BTU's will be used in the garage. Then you can size the pipe accordingly. Leave room if your going to add things down the road. ( Gas grill, heaters, etc)

Then you can either go from the meter and trench all the way to the garage, ( which is cheaper. Less material and labor) Or go from the meter, then into the basment to the other side of the home, then out and trench to the garage. This may be the only solution if you have plants and shrubs you dont want disturbed, or large concrete/asphalt spans.

You would need two ends( risers) in the correct size. These have stab fittings built in. Then a roll of poly. Connect the ends to the pipe and bury. Then hard pipe both ends(risers). One to meter and other to the garage area.

Code changed here in NJ to 12" burial depth. Used to be 18". Alot less trenching. Dont know if thats everywhere.

Gas Pipe Fittings Risers by Lyall

Hope this helps.

Mike NJ