Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

Discoloration of water after new Kohler Pinstripe Shower tub faucet installation

Discoloration of water after new Kohler Pinstripe Shower tub faucet installation

Old 10-10-11, 03:35 PM

We had a new Kohler rough in valve and faucet installed in our main bathroom. The Faucet shower assembly is called Pinstripe. Very high end as it has a temperature control system in it. As far as I can tell all of our pipes in the house are copper. At first I believed this might have been due to incompatible metals. The water is only discolored for the first 10 seconds or so and then is clear. We did not have this problem with the old fixture. Any ideas? The water heater in the house is only two years old and problem does not exist anywhere else. We used the Kohler designated rough-in valve for this assembly. This has been going on since we had the new fixtures installed in late July.

Last edited by rvplant; 10-10-11 at 04:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-11, 03:45 PM
How long has this been occurring?

My water pipes have sediment in them. Whenever the water is shutoff and the pipes drained, I will get discolored water after turning them on. This is from the sediment being kicked up. Perhaps this is what is happening.

Old 10-10-11, 04:13 PM
Sorry, I left that out. About two months now with no improvement..

Old 10-10-11, 04:32 PM
NJT
Presuming you did not install the valve yourself, did you inspect the plumbers work? Is there any possibility at all that he may have used a piece of steel pipe anywhere in the new valve hookup?

Old 10-10-11, 04:51 PM
I just pulled all three access panels and did a thorough search. All I see is copper pipes and two new shut off valves. They appear to either be copper and/or brass. The rough-in valve is definitely brass. The screw in pipes connecting from the copper supply lines are polished nickel as part of the package we ordered from Kohler. The pipes connecting to the spout and shower head are polished nickel as that is the finish we ordered.

Old 10-10-11, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator
How old is the home?

Often when you disturb pipes of that magnitude you will get sediment from the pipes for a while.

I looked up the faucet and dont see that its a thermostatic valve. When you turn the handle it starts as cold then to hot correct? No seperate control for temp?

I will also bite my tongue in regards to Kohler.....

Mike NJ

Old 10-10-11, 09:46 PM
The house was built in 1912 but the plumbing was completely re-done in the 80s. The owner before the one we bought this house from had all of the plumbing done. New PVC and copper throughout as far as we can tell. I don't think it is the sediment because only the pipes behind the shower/tub area were replaced and only by copper piping with new shutoff valves and purchased Kohler components. As for the Pinstripe shower valve components, we paid about 1000 dollars it with a polished nickel finish. There is no separate thermostat control, however, there is an internal pressure device that controls the established (running) temperature from modulation when other water usage is displaced throughout the house... ie flushing toilet, laundry etc...

Old 10-10-11, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator
I would take it that the water is yellow, brownish?

Pipes from the 80's could have alot of sediment at the bottom of the pipes. Espeacially with higher then normal sediment/iron in the water. Well? City water?

Also at fixtures that are not normally used for long periods of time. Those pipes build sediment from settling. possibly that bath was not used with the previous owners?

Another is the GPM. The old faucet may have had a less gpm and the new one has more. So the higher velosocity of water initially loosens some deposits at first turn on.

Something to check also is Hot or cold water discoloration?

Drain some water out of the water heater? Is it real dirty? That may dictate that your incoming water has mineral content.

Is there a recirc line for hot water?

Often when I run into this it clears itself. But with pipes 30 yrs old and discoloration I often reverse flush the lines. When you make water go backward in a pipe that has been flowing one direction for 30 years, I could tell you it looks like dark tea coming out the lines.

Mike NJ