Copper pipe sizing in heating loop

Old 10-12-11, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Copper pipe sizing in heating loop

Hi all, I'm a newbie on the forum here with (hopefully) an easy question for someone with more experience. In 1 zone of my house (Oil fired, hot water) there are still older style heaters . They are essentially the same as the baseboards seen everywhere today in that there is a pipe (or 2) covered in fins running through the bottom of the unit then heading back down into the basement. The exception here is that the pipe(s) running through the unit are 1/2 inch branch lines off of the main 1-1/2" line in the basement. I'd like to add newer style baseboards to 2 of the 5 units on that zone and am wondering if the 3/4" line on the newer units will affect the water flow in that zone thereby reducing it's effectiveness in all of the units. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

In addition, if you feel this post is in the wrong section please do let me know so I can correct it.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-11, 04:42 PM
Sounds like you may have a monoflo system. You will need to use monoflor tess if you add more branches from the main loop.

Why are you adding more baseboard? There may be another solution to your problem.

Old 10-12-11, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Why go through all the trouble to change the pipe size and tees.

Just get baseboard covers and keep the element.

Or if the elements are banged up pretty bad then just get 1/2" baseboard.

Here is a data sheet and example of slant fin. 3/4" vs 1/2" is the same.

http://slantfin.com/images/stories/P...ne15_15_10.pdf

Mike NJ

Old 10-13-11, 04:59 AM
I'm not adding more baseboards, just replacing two in rooms that have been remodeled. The current system is interesting in that the 1/2" line branches off the main 1-1/2" line, is routed through the heater and then back into the main line. Why would the water ever want to go through the 1/2" line with multiple 90 degree bends when it can go through a straight and much shorter portion of much larger pipe? It doesn't make much sense to me at all.

lawrosa, the old ones are already removed. The bathroom one was corroded out and the valve on the bedroom one was beginning to leak. It would have been impossible to get new covers as they are not regular baseboard heaters. They're sized about 2-1/2 feet high and 3-6 feet long depending on the room size.

drooplug, the tee's in there now are not monoflow, hence my question in the first paragraph. I'm guessing this monoflo tee should be used, except this time with a 3/4" option instead of the 1/2". Would reducing the 1-1/2 down to 3/4" in two sections reduce the slow that bad? In a house that has all regular style baseboard isn't the main line 3/4" anyway like the baseboards themselves? Eventually the other 3 baseboards on this line will be converted to conventional units.

Thanks for all the info. It's a huge help.

Old 10-13-11, 08:12 AM
I should clarify, I didn't see any monoflow Tee's on the supply side of the baseboards, where I would think they would go. Reading up on them, they apparently go on the return side and I just haven't checked that.

Old 10-13-11, 05:35 PM
You would have to have a monoflow T for that setup to work. As far as pipe size, you could get baseboards that are 1/2" pipe. With that said, I don't see a problem with the upsize to 3/4".

Old 10-14-11, 04:40 AM
So I can use a 1-1/2 Monoflow Tee with a 3/4 outlet for the baseboards? Does the Monoflow go on the supply or return side?

Thanks again drooplug!