Low-frequency humming

Old 10-17-11, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low-frequency humming

We have a fairly constant low-frequency drone, or hum, in our 2-story, four bedroom house. It is mostly perceptible at night, although I do hear it frequently during all hours, and is more prevelent at different locations within the house. A neighbor recently told me he thinks it could be water running through the pipes. I'm skeptical, as how would water make noise through a pipe when no outlets or faucets are on at the time? Especially at 3:00 in the morning. Any insight or other guesses would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks-
fishkat

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-11, 04:46 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I don't think plumbing... I'm skeptical too. City water, right? Are you close to a pumping station perhaps?

Are you the only one who hears it? ( Tinnitus maybe? )

I'm thinking something electrical... Is your electric service to the home strung overhead? Is there a transformer on the pole which your service comes from?

Refrigerator? Whole house air filter? Humidifier or De-humidifier?

How about next time you hear it at 3 AM you go and throw the main circuit breaker in the house to OFF? That would eliminate an appliance and narrow your search.

Old 10-17-11, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah...unless your water bill is outrageous...doubt its water.

I had an issue with my wifes PC and it was 2 rooms away. Also transformers for doorbells and HVAC systems can hum...when transmitted through structure..might be lower pitched.

Simple tests...turn off the house water and listen...then throw the main breaker and ensure all electrical devices are off...then listen.

If you live in NM it could just be the "hum".

Old 10-17-11, 05:11 PM
NJ Trooper-
When we first began noticing this low hum, my first thought was the new city water pumping station up on the hill behind us. Yep, we are <0.5 miles from a relatively new city water pumping station. I had a difficult time convincing myself that that was what we were hearing. Great minds think alike. I thought as well that it might be the refrigerator, but we've since bought a new one with no difference. No overhead electric or humidifiers. I'll go with your inclination and blame the damn pumping station up the hill. Not much one can do about that, hey?
Thanks for your insight, NJ Tooper. Be safe-
fishkat

Old 10-17-11, 05:16 PM
What parts of the house is the noise more prevalent in? Are these areas next to each other?

Old 10-17-11, 06:20 PM
Negative. Places in the house are not next to each other. No apparnt rhyme or reason.

Old 10-17-11, 06:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
One thought I have is - do you have a door chime or intercom system. Both can produce a low frequency hum. Not the chime per se but the transformer. Also, some intercoms will have a hum through poor filtering in the design.

As NJ Trooper said, next time you hear it, kill the main power. If it stops, you are halfway there.