1/4" Needle Valve

Old 10-24-11, 05:11 PM
1/4" Needle Valve

I've installed a few needle valves over the years and I've always drilled a hole in the pipe.
I was wondering, are all needle valves self piercing?
I need to install one and it would be easier, I wouldn't even have to shut off the water (with ice line connected already).

Thanks, Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-11, 05:48 PM
What you are referring to is properly called a saddle valve, not a needle valve. A needle valve is a very specific type of valve and it is rarely, if ever, used in residential services.

Some saddle valves used on copper tubing ARE self piercing but ALL saddle valves are a poor, to very poor method of tapping an existing water line. The most common usage of a saddle valve is for a refrigerator icemaker and many refrigerator manufacturers specifically state that the warranty is void is a saddle valve is used.

Old 10-24-11, 06:10 PM
Got it,
I'll go ahead and install a new angle stop with 3/8 and 1/4 compression fittings. I am wondering what's wrong with a saddle valve tho. What I want is for an Icemaker Line. I don't know why this would void the warranty. Maybe the line could be clogged is what I'm guessing. Good Info.

Thanks, Brian

Old 10-24-11, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator
Saddle valves are not to code. I think everywhere.

Also the refridges today need a full port valve. If a saddle valve is installed the selenoids burn up soon after. Thats why they void the warranty.

Mike NJ