Dishwasher with no sink access possible?

Old 10-25-11, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher with no sink access possible?

I have a kitchen we're remodeling and the dishwasher is currently next to the sink. We want to move the sink to another short wall which would be similar to an island. It's too small a space for the dishwasher to connect to. Can the dishwasher stay where it is at and utilize the existing vent stack without being connected to a faucet? It would be the only thing using this vent stack. It would high loop into a 45 adapted to fit a dishwasher hose on the side of the stack. If this is not acceptable, how would one install a dishwasher when it cannot get access to a sink? Reading through the 2006 IPC and I haven't found an answer yet (which may mean it cannot be done). Interested in your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-11, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
It has to be hooked up like a washing machine. Needs a trap and a stand pipe. You cant hook it up directly to a drain or vent.

Mike NJ

Old 10-26-11, 03:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
As far as a "faucet" goes, you obviously have a hot water supply where the sink was, so you have adequate supply for the dishwasher. Was this a portable dishwasher????

Old 10-26-11, 06:00 AM
Originally Posted by lawrosa View Post
It has to be hooked up like a washing machine. Needs a trap and a stand pipe. You cant hook it up directly to a drain or vent.

Mike NJ
Mike - Why the standpipe for the DW?

Old 10-26-11, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator
Mike - Why the standpipe for the DW?
Needs an air gap. When it normally hooks up to the DW tailpiece under the sink, that is an air gap. Its above the trap.

So how would you hook it up without a DW tailpiece? Trap, standpipe, and stick the hose in the stand pipe.

Mike NJ

Old 10-27-11, 05:19 AM
I'm confused - again. I thought an air gap was designed to backflow from a clogged sink. I also thought the airgap had to be higher than the overflow level of the sink, not just higher than the trap.

If the DW drain is emptying into a separate trap why would an air gap be needed?

Old 10-27-11, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator
7.15 in the NSPC...

New Jersey Plumbing Code

Mike NJ

Old 10-31-11, 11:46 AM
I have a similar issue where a dishwasher I'm installing cannot be connected directly to a sink.. I can access the main drain line and was planning on making a separate p-trap that the dishwasher will drain through and was hoping to be able to use an in line vent (oatey) since it is an interior wall that the dishwasher is on with no venting... Will the in line vent be sufficient?