Pressure in the main line going outside

Old 10-31-11, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pressure in the main line going outside

My main line gets stuck and water comes up through the tub and sinks on the first floor. I checked the main line in the basement and as soon as I took the cap off the line going towards the house water splashed every where and the line was open. I didn't have to do anything else the water started flowing. I put the cap back on and a day later the same thing. I don't understand how pressure can build up when the line is open I also ran a snake through to make sure and still the same issue. For now I left the cap off and everything is fine. Like to put the cap back on before I get a basement full of sewage water. Please help

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-11, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Hi,

What cleanout cap are you opening? Outside or in basement?

If the tub and sinks on the first floor are backing up it means your main is clogged. The trick is to find out where.

What cleanouts are in the home on the main? How big, 3", and where are they?

Are there any outside?

What is the material of the pipe?

Mike NJ

Old 10-31-11, 09:21 AM
What cleanout cap are you opening? Outside or in basement? It is inside the basement and the one going toward the house and not the one going to the sewer.

What cleanouts are in the home on the main? How big, 3", and where are they? They are 3" and in the basement. That's all I can find.

Are there any outside? None outside that I can see. Only in the basement

What is the material of the pipe? Metal pipe. Galvanized steel I think

Old 10-31-11, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
going toward the house and not the one going to the sewer
What does this mean??????

Could you take a pic of the clean out?

When you opened the clean out did alot of sewage come out? If so the blokage is after that cleanout.

Where is the cleanout in relation to where it exits the home?

Is the cleanout in the floor, on a wall, ceiling level?

Mike NJ

Old 10-31-11, 03:24 PM
I have pictures not sure how to send them here. Can you please give me your email.

When I opened it a lot of sewage came out the first time. I closed it and opened it again and sewage came out again but not as much as the first time. The first time it hit the ceiling.

The cleanout is in the basement close to the back wall. It comes down from the basement ceiling and goes into the ground and out to the sewer.

Old 11-02-11, 11:22 AM
Here are the pictures. Pictures by nmurad - Photobucket

Old 11-02-11, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
OK,

So what you are saying is you leave that clean out cap off at that trap in your pic, and all the waste just drains in the crawl?

And when you put the cap on the house gets clogged?

It seems the clogg is out at the street. Looks like cast iron in the ground. Possibly you have root infiltration.

You need a bigger snake thats for sure. That one does not have enough tourqe.

next you should check with the town and see if that house trap can be removed. If code allows remove it. They are not reqired anymore but some towns still reqire them.

Get a bigger snake and your probably better off removeing that elbow that attaches to the house trap and goes into the ground. It will be easier to snake.

The problem is you have that house trap. If that was not there you can pull a toilet and go in from there. It makes it alittle longer to snake but way easier.

You see why plumbers get the big bucks?

Also I see a giant backwater valve. Whats that all about?

Mike NJ

Mike NJ

Old 11-02-11, 12:17 PM
When the cap is off the water flows through the pipe. When the cap is back on water backs up to the house.

We also get a lot of water in the basement when it rains. We use a pump to get it out and sometimes the water is too much for the pipes and it backs up to the house. The backwater valve was put in to prevent water from going back to the house when the pump is on.

Old 11-02-11, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
When did this all start?

How come there is no vent stack?

Tell me more info on why all that pvc and a cast iron and the layout of the home.

Mike NJ

Old 11-02-11, 01:42 PM
I have the house for only a year. It started 3 months ago during a big storm. The pvc and cast iron were this way before I got the house. I had the backwater valve put in to stop the water from going to thouse. I am not sure what a vent stack is, if you can tell me where and how to install one I will get it done.
I am going to Lowes today to get a bigger snake and see if I can clear out the pipe going to the sewer.

nmurad

Old 11-02-11, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
You better off getting someone that can camera the line. This is after flow is restored. Cant see with water in the line.

Its the only way to really know whats going on in the sewer.

( You are on municipal sewer correct? No septic?)

Plus IMO you have some issues there but I can see everything. What is dumping into that large, looks like 6" line with the backwater valve?

Mike NJ

Old 11-02-11, 05:27 PM
Hi Guys.

If I am reading this correctly (and im not sure I am) It sounds like the line only seems to be draining close to proper when the cleanout cap is removed. That screams of a venting issue to me, that is, if I am understanding the senario right

Old 11-02-11, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
It started 3 months ago during a big storm
And was anything else done to the plumbing? Additions or modifications to the plumbing?

Mike NJ

Old 11-02-11, 06:02 PM
Oh, and having a sump pump tied into the building sewer I assure you isnt helping and is probably against the rules. At least it is around here.

Old 11-03-11, 08:10 AM
Not sure what to do with the water in the basement. Where should the sump pump be tied to?

Old 11-03-11, 08:16 AM
Nothing else has been done to the pluming as far as I know. The 6" line with the backwater valve is coming from the house. What can do about the venting issue?
Also it is municipal sewer Not septic.

Originally Posted by lawrosa View Post
And was anything else done to the plumbing? Additions or modifications to the plumbing?

Mike NJ

Old 11-03-11, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Logically there is no reason that drain should be not be able to drain with the cap on or off. Since it has only happened 3 months ago and you have not had an issue before that. And since you stated nothing has changed.

So the next step IMO is to bite the bullet and call a pro that has a snake and camera that can perform an internal inspection of the main going out to the street. Without that you are just guessing.

A venting issue just does not appear out of nowhere. It would make sense that the whole house trap would prevent the line from venting, but the flow of water would just suck the trap dry and air would be pulled in from one of the two branch lines you have.

There must be a main stack coming through the roof somewhere. Look on the roof and find the vent and follow it to where it may come down in the crawl.

More pics would be helpful, but I would say things need to be replumbed somewhat.

Have you checked if that house trap is needed? It looks like that was added after the fact and someone possibly was trying to correct something. It would seem the way the sewer is laid out that without the house trap the sewer was sucking all the other traps in the house dry. So somebodys fix was to install a house trap to prevent this.

The sump pump should be removed from the sewer and discharge over the sill plate and exit the home. Discharge on the lawn somewhere and makesure it flows away from the foundation.

Let us know.

Mike NJ

Old 11-03-11, 08:58 AM
Thanks for all your help Mike. I have scheduled a plumber to come in and check out the main going out. Hope that does trick. If not I will be ack for more advice and also share what the plumber has to say.

Originally Posted by lawrosa View Post
Logically there is no reason that drain should be not be able to drain with the cap on or off. Since it has only happened 3 months ago and you have not had an issue before that. And since you stated nothing has changed.

So the next step IMO is to bite the bullet and call a pro that has a snake and camera that can perform an internal inspection of the main going out to the street. Without that you are just guessing.

A venting issue just does not appear out of nowhere. It would make sense that the whole house trap would prevent the line from venting, but the flow of water would just suck the trap dry and air would be pulled in from one of the two branch lines you have.

There must be a main stack coming through the roof somewhere. Look on the roof and find the vent and follow it to where it may come down in the crawl.

More pics would be helpful, but I would say things need to be replumbed somewhat.

Have you checked if that house trap is needed? It looks like that was added after the fact and someone possibly was trying to correct something. It would seem the way the sewer is laid out that without the house trap the sewer was sucking all the other traps in the house dry. So somebodys fix was to install a house trap to prevent this.

The sump pump should be removed from the sewer and discharge over the sill plate and exit the home. Discharge on the lawn somewhere and makesure it flows away from the foundation.

Let us know.

Mike NJ