Dishwasher drain plumbing help

Old 10-31-11, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher drain plumbing help

I am installing a dishwasher in my kitchen that cannot be connected to the sink (kitchen is too small to position it next to it). I have access to the main drain line in the basement and plan on making a separate p-trap for the dishwasher and then installan in-line vent (oatey) since there isn't any venting available. Will the inline vent be sufficient and will this cause any moisture issues (the plumbing will be located between a blind cabinet and drywall with about an 8 inch gap and the countertop covering it. I will be able to access the plumbing by pulling the dishwasher out.)

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-11, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I would have to check the code.

Can you tie into the line in the crawl, drill a hole in the floor, and bring the trap to floor level behind the DW???

Then tie a AAV (vent) on the trap arm.

Bring the stand pipe max @ 24" and raise the AAV a similiar height next to it.

Then just loop the DW hose up, and dump it in the stand pipe.

Mike NJ

Old 10-31-11, 02:17 PM
Hi mike,

That actually is exactly what my plan is if that will work? Not sure if an AAV would have sufficient venting for a forced system though? And would it allow mildew/mold buildup over time from the hot water venting between the two or no cause the AAV is only sucking?

Old 11-01-11, 10:52 AM
I don't think you'll need an AAV at all. A DW drain hose is a lot smaller in diameter than a standpipe will be, and you'll need an air gap anyway. That's plenty enough venting.

Old 11-01-11, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I don't think you'll need an AAV at all. A DW drain hose is a lot smaller in diameter than a standpipe will be, and you'll need an air gap anyway. That's plenty enough venting.
Venting is so other fixtures dont suck the water out of the trap. Its not really to allow the fixtures to drain.

Mike NJ