Main Water Shutoff Valve Inside

Old 11-01-11, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Main Water Shutoff Valve Inside

Hello,
About two months ago I purchased a 1962ish 1 story house on a concrete slab. The water and gas lines come up through the floor behind the hot water heater and boiler. When I bought the house, I could tell that water had leaked at some point in this laundry room, but no water was leaking. See the link below for pictures of the main water shut-off valve inside the house. As you can see, a radiator clamp is holding on some sort of rubber strip that has been wound multiple times. The second clamp is just hanging loose. I cant tell if it was at some point on top of the first clamp or what? Yesterday it began leaking a drop of water ever 3-5 seconds. Obviously this needs to be fixed. Is this something I can address myself? I feel pretty handy, but the space is tight, and it leaves little room for error.

I do have a water shutoff valve at the street under a 1 foot diameter rounder cover. A few days ago I doused the valve with WD-40 to prep it in case something like this started to happen.

What sort of supplies would I need for the job?
How much would I expect to pay a plumber to come and fix it right?

THANK YOU for your help! I read these forums every day at lunch.

See Pics Here Pictures by kentifur - Photobucket

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-11, 05:59 PM
Received 22 Votes on 17 Posts
A few days ago I doused the valve with WD-40 to prep it in case something like this started to happen.
If you want to prep for the repair job, try prepping with a penetrating oil rather than WD 40. If you really have no idea what needs to be done, ask a plumbing contractor for some expertise and an estimate.

Old 11-02-11, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Hi,

Take that clamp and rubber glove off and see where its leaking from. It may just be the packing nut. May just need a snug, or you can make your own packing with teflon tape.

But it depends on whats there under that mess.

Mike NJ