Loss of water pressure

Old 11-08-11, 07:59 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Loss of water pressure

2 nights ago I lost about 50% of my water pressure in my house. It's a 15 year old home that is on a well.

I immediately thought it was a plugged filter, so I removed the filter and ran the system w/o a filter in it. The pressure came back for a few minutes but started slowing up again.

I have 1 faucet attached to my water system before the water goes through my bladder, softener, and filter. When I turn on the exterior faucet it seems to get perfect pressure (although I never payed attn to the pressure in this faucet before this problem, I'm assuming it it where it use to be). It has water pressure to where I think that the problem is after this fork in my water system.

I looked at the pressure guage on my bladder tank and it was reading 25. The stamp on the side of my "well-x-trol 252" said that it left the factory at 38 pounds of pressure and it has a maximum pressure rating of 100 lbs.

I had a small compressure that I tried draining my bladder and increasing the pressure inside of my bladder, but it didn't increase. It's a compressor that's big enough to fill up my truck tires, but not a really strong compressor.

Am I safe to assume that the problem is in my bladder tank?
How to I increase the pressure in my tank?
What should I increase it to. (3 story house / 3 bathrooms, 1 kitchen)
If it is my bladder? Can it be repaired if it's a problem? Have to be replaced?

Any help would be appreciated, this is driving me crazy. Thanks.
Brian

Old 11-08-11, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
No expert, but if your tank is only getting to 25...then it's the pump or pressure switch or possibly a piping issue...not the tank, that is the problem.

As I understand..the use of a bladder tank allows use of small amounts of water without the pump kicking on and off...and during larger demand, keeps the pressure constant during use.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: