Metallic/Tar smell from new kitchen sink

Old 11-18-11, 06:46 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Metallic/Tar smell from new kitchen sink

I had a stainless steel sink installed in my kitchen a week ago. There is an odor coming from the cabinet under the sink which is like a combination of metal and tar. I washed down all the plumbing, walls, etc under the sink to no avail. I also put a fan under there and left the doors open for 24 hours to see if that would help. I still have the smell and it hasn't dissipated at all. I googled this problem and found that it could be the substance used to undercoat the sink which is like the undercoating on a car. Has anyone heard of this problem and what can I do to get rid of the odor?

Old 11-18-11, 04:57 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If something like the undercoating is out gassing, you won't get rid of that smell unless you replace the sink. In fact, I recommend replacing it.

Old 11-19-11, 04:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 431 Votes on 385 Posts
Have you contacted the installer and/or the manufacturer?

It's possible a coat of a solvent based primer would seal in the odor but you shouldn't have to go that route on a new sink that I'm sure you paid good money for.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 11-19-11, 04:51 AM
J
Thanks! I have contacted the installer and they are supposed to get back to me. I don't know the manufacturer because the sink was "free" with the granite countertops they installed for me. I didn't choose the sink myself. Now I am very leary of the quality of this "free" sink. I definitely will ask who manufactured it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: