Using Sharkbite Type Pex Connectors Underground

Old 11-25-11, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using Sharkbite Type Pex Connectors Underground

I'm making some changes and repairs to an irrigation system, which includes replacing the TEE on the main supply line coming from the meter.

The main supply line is 1-inch PEX, and the old TEE was installed using crimp style connectors. I'd like to use the Sharkbite brand push-on style connectors if possible. However, I'm getting conflicting information about whether I can use them underground.

I went to the Sharkbite website and they claim the connectors are rated for underground use. The local hardware guy says they are not. Local code is silent on the issue.

I'd like to know whether they can be used or not. I'll use the crimp style if I must, but if I don't have to buy the crimp tool, I'd just as soon not.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-11, 07:03 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
If this fitting will be downstream of the vacuum breaker or other backflow preventer than I see no reason why the Sharkbite cannot be used.

Old 11-25-11, 07:14 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 84 Posts
My understanding is that SharkBite connectors are rated/approved for underground use. The manufacturer says that, I find it unlikely that they would lie.

Others just may not be fully up to speed on what every connector type is approved for.

I see no reason it can't be used.

Old 11-25-11, 07:50 PM
Received 73 Votes on 64 Posts
The local hardware guy says they are not.
Would this be the big blue or big orange (cough, cough) XPERTS?

Old 11-25-11, 08:09 PM
Actually, no. It was a guy at the local plumbing/irrigation supply store. (Not staffed by real plumbing or irrigation pros.) Believe it or not, there is an actual plumbing/irrigation expert in our local big orange store - but he's gone this week (Thanksgiving).

Old 11-25-11, 08:13 PM
I really appreciate all the help everyone! Thank you!

Old 11-25-11, 10:33 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
It IS possible that your LOCAL code does indeed prohibit the Sharkbites underground. It is entirely possible that the ONLY reason they prohibit them is political. In the large city southeast of me it took some 20 years after all the national model codes approved plastic piping that this city finally approved plastic piping. I'm pretty sure the fact that one of the city councilmen also happened to be a member of the family that owned the largest plumbing company in the city had nothing to do with the late adoption of plastic piping.