PRV and expansion tank

Old 12-06-11, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PRV and expansion tank

I am going to add a pressure relief valve to my house to release pressure from city water. I am adding this right after the water meter and before a shutoff valve.

Should it follow shut off valve??

I am told this will make my system a closed system and therefore I will need an expansion tank for the water heater.

My water heater is in a very tight spot below my furnace. 40 gallon low. Very hard to do plumbing here.

It would be easier to put this tank in my garage after the water softener. I assume, even though maybe 25' of piping may be between the water softener and the heater, the heater is the next thing in the water line after water softener.

I have been told that the tank can go anywhere on the cold side of water heater but it should be after the water softener too avoid hot water from entering softener.

Is this true?

I installed both heater and softener, should I be able to do this repair myself? Soldering and PVC glue were both used by me.

Are there settings on PRV and tank that might be harder than just the plumbing??

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-11, 03:53 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 95 Posts
I would place the PRV after the meter and shutoff. I'd also install a second shutoff after the PRV so it can be replaced or repaired in the future without draining the whole house. I'd also install a tee, 1/2" or 3/8" shutoff valve, and a screw-on pressure gauge. This will help you set the PRV and ensure it's working in the future. I believe you want to set your PRV around 60psi.

Yes, you'll need a pressure tank somewhere on your cold line since as the water heats it has somewhere to expand to. I believe it can go anywhere on the cold line. Be sure to support the pipe you attach it to. Oh, and it should be after the softener - you don't want to backflow the softener (though I'm not certain anything bad would really happen if you do)

Old 12-06-11, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Zorfdt View Post
I would place the PRV after the meter and shutoff. I'd also install a second shutoff after the PRV so it can be replaced or repaired in the future without draining the whole house. I'd also install a tee, 1/2" or 3/8" shutoff valve, and a screw-on pressure gauge. This will help you set the PRV and ensure it's working in the future. I believe you want to set your PRV around 60psi.
The only issue I have with this is: this would all be underground. My meter is in hole about 2' from sidewalk, then my shutoff. Each in a round plastic meter box. I have a shutoff right before softener in garage. This stops the water draining from house issue. I could put T here with gauge.

Not sure how many holes and covers I would need for your setup. These are always getting broke by lawn crew as it is now. Do you/anyone have a good suggestion for a water meter box to hold this setup and will last with yard workers and kids running across?

Originally Posted by Zorfdt View Post
Yes, you'll need a pressure tank somewhere on your cold line since as the water heats it has somewhere to expand to. I believe it can go anywhere on the cold line. Be sure to support the pipe you attach it to. Oh, and it should be after the softener - you don't want to backflow the softener (though I'm not certain anything bad would really happen if you do)
Could I put a shelf under tank for support?

Old 12-06-11, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
am going to add a pressure relief valve to my house to release pressure from city water. I am adding this right after the water meter and before a shutoff valve.
Hi. You mean a pressure reducing valve? This is being installed because the city pressure is too high?

Follow what zorfdt suggests. Put the tank anywhere on the cold line. Have a valve on each side for servicing, and add that tee so you can add a pressure gauge to monitor the PSI.

Mike NJ

Old 12-07-11, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by lawrosa View Post
Hi. You mean a pressure reducing valve? This is being installed because the city pressure is too high?

Follow what zorfdt suggests. Put the tank anywhere on the cold line. Have a valve on each side for servicing, and add that tee so you can add a pressure gauge to monitor the PSI.

Mike NJ
First: I know where I am going to place the tank now. It will go between water softener and water heater, but closer to water softener on cold line. More room in garage to work than small closet in house where water heater is located. Thanks

Yes.. PRV just got R wrong lol

Just so you know, before the water line gets inside my garage/house, the line gets split between outside spigots and indoor plumbing.

So would a meter still know the pressure on my complete system if it was placed after a T?

I am really asking, does it matter if my pressure meter is in the ground after the PRV or in the garage, before the water softener?

It would be easier to check in garage and easier to install there.

Old 12-07-11, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
So would a meter still know the pressure on my complete system if it was placed after a T?

Dont understand the question, but anything after the PRV will have the reduced pressure. If your installing the PRV in the ground with the meter then you are good. Everthing else should be in the home so you can service and monitor.

Example if the city pressure is 130psi, it will pass the meter and hit the PRV and reduce to say 50psi. That will be your new house pressure.

am really asking, does it matter if my pressure meter is in the ground after the PRV or in the garage, before the water softener?
Put it in the home. Why go outside in a pit to check that your pressure is at a satisfactory level.

Just so you know, before the water line gets inside my garage/house, the line gets split between outside spigots and indoor plumbing.

If it splits after the prv thats fine. All lines will have the reduced pressure.

The only thing you will have an issue with possible is if you have an irrigation system and the plumber did not already install one there. Your sprinklers may not shoot as far and new head calculations will be needed.

Mike NJ