Recirc pump on Solar Hot Water Heater

Old 12-17-11, 10:30 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recirc pump on Solar Hot Water Heater

I'm having a solar hot water system installed in my new home. The exchanger in the tank is somewhat backwards in that the tank holds the solar heated water and the domestic hot water runs through the exchanger. My question is: How is the recirculating line connected to this system? I was thinking of connecting it to the incoming cold line (with a check valve on the recirc side).

Old 12-17-11, 02:45 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 973 Votes on 894 Posts
You said you are having the system installed. Does the company who designed the system or installers have a recommendation? I would understand your question if you were DIYing a solar system but if you are purchasing a system it should be figured out for you.

Which circulation line are you asking about? Is it on the solar system circulating fluid up to the solar panel and back to your storage tank or is it a circuit between your solar storage tank and a standard water heater? Basically, it depends on your system.

Old 12-17-11, 09:01 PM
Received 114 Votes on 101 Posts
I'm having a solar hot water system installed in my new home.
Have the installers do it, they have to warrant it.

Old 12-18-11, 05:30 AM
T
I plumbed the house including the recirculating line for the DHW. After I roughed it in I decided to go solar. My original thought was to hook it up to the water heater like a normal installation (to the bottom of the tank). But since the tank doen't hold water for the domestic side (it stores the solar water in the closed loop), I can't do this. The solar installers didn't give me a suggestion.

Old 12-18-11, 05:38 AM
D
But wouldn't you just hook it up to the hot and cold lines the same way you would on a normal hot water heater? Why wouldn't this setup work?

Old 12-20-11, 10:28 AM
J
Hi Trailbuilder, try this link - it has more than you will ever need to know about solar.

Solar space heating -- active and passive solar projects for space heating

Good Luck with it!
Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: