New Plumbing Main Loop

Old 12-30-11, 09:05 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Plumbing Main Loop

I am completely cahnging all the plumbing in the house I recently purchased , there was no maintenence and every vale leaks . I will be using Pex like the last house I had , and I would like to install a loop systym as I have seen on Holmes On Holmes . It consists of a main loop , with take off valves for the individual lines , and it's fed on either side by the main hot/cold line , so there is no loss of pressure when faucets are opened , and it's all in one spot to shut off and isolate each line . What is the technical name for this systym ?
many thanks ,
jim

Old 12-31-11, 04:47 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 160 Votes on 142 Posts
I think you're referring to a manifold system. In a utility room or closet, the main hot/cold lines come in and then branch out to each room or fixture with a shutoff for each. This allows you to eliminate most or all connections inside the walls. Some plumbers will install one 3/4" line for each bathroom and kitchen then branch off to each fixture from there. Others will run one 1/2" line to each fixture.

Feeding each fixture with it's own line helps reduce pressure loss when you flush a toilet, but also increases the time required to get hot water. (If you just showered, you still have to wait for hot water to get to the sink). Each has it's pros and cons... but you can't really go wrong with either layout.

Old 01-04-12, 10:27 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply , Icould not remember the name- I will look it up and consult with my plumber ,
jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: