Leaking Shower/Tub Faucet

Old 01-13-01, 10:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I'm trying to replace the cartridge on a one-handle faucet in the upstairs bathroom. I removed the handle, escutcheon and stop tube. There was a small brass horseshoe clip in the temperature stop, so I pulled that out too. But I can't seem to be able to pull the cartridge out. What's the trick?

Old 01-13-01, 11:03 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a Moen cartridge.

You can go to the Moen site at http://www.moen.com and get a schematic and detailed instructions. Or call 1-800-BUY-MOEN, and they can talk you thru it.

The instructions on the Moen site say:

How do I replace my Moen cartridge?

1. Remove cap (kitchen) or insert button (bathroom) to expose screw.
2. Remove the screw and pull off handle assembly.
3. Turn off shut off valves underneath the sink.
4. Remove retainer clip (copper horseshoe shaped clip) and pull out cartridge with channel locks, pliers, or cartridge puller.
5. Insert new cartridge with hole on the stem facing the 6 o'clock position, or down in a tub/shower.
6. Reinsert retainer clip and screw in handle assembly, followed by the cap or insert button. Turn water back on under sink.

They make a special tool for the cartridge removal, which comes in the package with the replacement cartridge. It is a white plastic piece, and sometimes breaks. ACE hardware sells the Moen cartridge puller. Most of the time you can get the cartridge out, if you can find a way to turn the entire cartridge, not just the stem. Needle nose pliers have worked best for me.

Old 01-13-01, 12:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks Rick,

Problem solved. What a pain. We're on well water here in Calvert County and I guess the hard water deposits make it difficult to remove cartridges. I finally got it out and replaced it and the leak is gone. Only trouble is....now the hot and cold water is reversed. Hats off to you guys who do this for a living!

Old 01-13-01, 03:13 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the hot and cold water are reversed, remove the handle, and grab the stem with pliers, and rotate it 180 degrees. Re-install handle, and it should be OK.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: