Are there any quality copper fittings?

Old 01-16-12, 05:13 PM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Are there any quality copper fittings?

I have had 3 leaking female adapters in the past six months. I am meticulous, using Rectorseal plus teflon. The only leak problems I have are with threaded fittings. I buy from the usual suspects, HD, an independent wholesaler and the occasional hardware store. If anyone makes fittings like they used to be, I'll pay the price. Has the USA abandoned this market? I am 66 and it used to be that with 3 wraps of teflon I didn't have to think of threads leaking. Now it seems the norm. Just venting.

Old 01-16-12, 05:57 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
try the blue glue or goo,they will know what it is.

Old 01-16-12, 06:56 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Been there, done that, seen that, and have the same rave !!
I have fixed many a leak where other techs or owners have used teflon tape on a threaded pipe joint and simply could not get it to stop leaking, by cleaning it off and using Rectorseal #5. But, with some of these offshore fittings, you can try everything, and you end up tossing them and trying another. Also had a few where your waiting for something to snap because you've got it so tight and it won't stop, then all of a sudden you get mad, turn it a fraction of an inch further, and it stops . Whats with that??? I use the rectorseal 5 on propane, natural gas, & water with no problems other than those offshore copper or galvanized threaded fittings. Unfortunately the majority will buy the cheapies, thus it's hard to find good ones, if at all.

Old 01-17-12, 08:22 AM
M
A common problem. I work at a place that designs and builds tactical water purification and distribution systems for the military. We have had huge issues with cheap Chinese (and other) brass and stainless steel fittings. Most are junk. We've pretty much switched to all US-made parts, even though they are as much as ten times more expensive. Still cheaper than rework.

Old 01-17-12, 04:06 PM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Any suggested US sources?

I agree that rework is a killer, hence my vent. 10x on price would take a 1/2 x 1/2 female adapter to $20. Surely they are not that high. I have noticed a progression of the poor quality. 7-8 years ago it was an occasional problem. Now I am beginning to expect it.

Old 01-18-12, 09:39 AM
M
Most of the better stainless fittings we use are Swagelok. Most are well over $20 apiece.

Old 02-01-12, 01:23 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is there anything good out there?

Recently I had bad luck with Asian 1/1-4 " galv pipe fittings, and welded galv pipe. Lesson learned; dont buy the cheap stuff.
Sid

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: