Low water pressure to my icemaker line. Do I have it setup wrong?

Old 01-19-12, 08:08 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low water pressure to my icemaker line. Do I have it setup wrong?

I have a very old house and the water line for my fridge is a self-penetrating valve attached to the cold water supply line to my shower. The water that comes out of it is a weak dribble. It would probably take 2 minutes to fill up an 8 ounce cup. The water pressure in the rest of my house seems okay. Could it be the way the valve is setup and is there anything I can do to get better pressure before I call a plumber? Does it matter that the supply line is running up out of the pipe instead of down or horizontal?

I got rid of the original valve and replaced it with a new self-penetrating valve. I checked the hole and it looks okay and is the right size for the tap. Below is a picture. Thanks for any help.

Old 01-19-12, 08:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 755 Votes on 694 Posts
You can try closing the valve (turn clockwise, righty tighty), remove the other end of the hose from the fridge and put it in a bucket, and then open the valve all the way to see if that clears any debris that may be clogging it. Make sure you disconnect the hose to flush out the line. You don't want any sediment knocked free to clog your ice maker's valve.

If that does not help the pipe can be cut and a T with a proper shutoff installed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: