pasta clogs sink & disposal

Old 01-28-12, 07:01 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello, I have a double kitchen sink with one side a disposal. The bathroom sink backsup to the kitchen sink and they share a drain. I put pasta and sauce down the disposal and it clogged everything. I plugged up the bath sink with a rag ran the disposal and plunged the other side until I was blue in the face.It did not work the water just blew out the rag and as soon as I shut the disosal off the water flowed back in. I removed all standing water with a wet vac and poured boiling water into the drain. Nothing happened so after it cooled I sucked that out. I then tried vinegar & Baking soda. It fizzed up nicly but did not remove the clog.The whole thing sucks. Please help. Thanks Joycy

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-12, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
It may work if you tape the vent on the roof. You cant get a good plunge going with that vent open.

But that is dangerous. Dont know your roof walking skills.

Your best bet is to snake the line with a power snake.

How to prevent it?

Man goes to the doctor and says, hey doc everytime I lift my arm it hurts. Doc says dont lift your arm.....

Samething with disposal. Dont put down pasta and sauce. Although you may have other issues regarding why its clogging. May not be plumbed properly or old steel pipe is all closed up.

Disposals are more trouble then good. People should not tax our sewer systems with food anyway IMO. If it were me I would remove the disposal.

Mike NJ

Old 01-28-12, 07:53 AM

Thanks for answering so quickly. I cannot use your advice as I am 73 with poor eysight and even poorer balance. I was hopeing for finding something to pour down to disolve the pasta. thanks anyway. Jojycy

Old 01-29-12, 06:31 AM
Vey
Like Mike in NJ said, never put pasta down the drain.

I have a kitchen drain that slowed down a couple of months ago. I used lots and lots of boiled water (large batches of water work better than small ones, so use as big a pot as you can lift or many smaller ones at the same time) seems to have cleared it along with vinegar and baking soda.
Here is a page that better describes what i did:
How to Dissolve a Pasta Clog in the Sink | eHow.com

I emphasis that if you use vinegar and baking soda, make sure that DON'T USE drain cleaners for quite a while afterwards.

Old 01-29-12, 10:13 AM
It sounds like the pipe has more issues than pasta in the disposal. If the bathroom sink is backing up into the kitchen, that could mean a blockage further down in the line, or an improperly installed drain pipe. If the pipe has been in service for many many years. I think it is more likely that it is clogged up with old food particles and grease. Hiring a pro might be the only solution for this. Perhaps the line can be snaked out.