Finally Its Time for PEX-help me

Old 02-12-12, 01:47 PM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Finally Its Time for PEX-help me

I know this has been discussed before, but at 66 I thought I would finish my life using copper. What is the best crimping tool and ring type? Quality and ease of use is more important than price.

I have a job that forces the change. I am installing a laundry area next to a bathroom. The homeowner thought there was crawl space, but it turns out when this addition was put on, they didn't excavate so there is only about 8" of clearance to the ground. I thought I had seen everything. We'll have to cut out subfloor for access.

Old 02-12-12, 05:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
A double sized pex crimper will run about $65 for the ring type. As has been discussed, pex is a quality product if installed correctly, and will change you forever with regards to your love for copper. Too easy to use, flexible, resists corrosion, resists bulging and bursting when frozen (but will crack if frozen enough).

Old 02-12-12, 05:19 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I have a long handled crimping tool that does both 1/2" and 3/4" that works great when you have room for the handles in the open position. In tighter spaces I have more hand held size crimper that only does a single size of tubing though it can often test your grip strength but it's a life saver in tight spaces.

Old 02-13-12, 07:19 AM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Thanks guys. Hand strength is an issue at my age, but my partner is 6-4 and has large hands. Maybe he can help. I'll talk to my wholesaler and maybe even HD. HD in Boulder has a real plumber as opposed someone who bagged groceries in his prior job. I have read enough and seen PEX installations, so I am pretty convinced that it is a great product. I posted once before that an 80 yr old counterman at my wholesaler thought the world went to hell when copper replaced galvanized.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: