Replace the kitchen sink/faucet

Old 01-14-01, 08:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Hello
I have a new sink and moen faucet to replace the one currently in the kitchen. Any tips on how to properly remove the current sink and get the new one in would be appreciated. I think I have the faucet figured out except for one question. The sink is white,so not stainless steel I pressume. The faucet is one of those Moens that the sprayer is at the end of the faucet and it secures to the sink at just the center hole. I plan on putting a soap dispenser in the other hole. The instructions on installing the faucet say if the "deck" is less then 1 inch, (stainless steel sinks) that the mounting bracket goes one way, and all other sinks (more then 1 inch deck) it goes the other way. What exectly is the "deck". My sink although it is white is only about 3/8 an inch thick at the center hole. So do I treat this faucet installation as a stainless steel sink? Thanks for your time.

Old 01-14-01, 09:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Vendguy1,
Sounds like you may have a porcelain sink (not stainless steel) and that you intend to install a soap dispenser in the hole that normally would be for the sprayer, since the sprayer is on the end of the new faucet.
To remove old sink:
A. Turn off water at both valves under sink. If you don't have cutoff valves under sink, you will need to cutoff main water valve, and I would install new cutoff valves under the sink while you're at it.
B. Remove sink retaining clips under countertop, if there.
C. Disconnect water lines and sink drain tailpiece at/above trap. (You might want to put a bucket under the trap to catch any water that might spill from it).
D. Lift old sink/faucet out of sink base cabinet.
To install new sink:
A. Install the new faucet (without sprayer on end, so that you can flush the faucet and water line after installation), drain strainer (pencil-size roll of plumber's putty under drain rim) and tailpiece, and soap dispenser onto sink BEFORE setting into cabinet base. Put a pencil-size roll of plumber's putty around opening in countertop to seal under sink deck (that's the "lip" that sits on the countertop, and I would guess that it is wider than 1" where the faucet sits).
B. Install retaining clips under counter top, if there.
C. Hook up water lines to new faucet. (Hot water on left. Cold water on right. Use 2-3 wraps of teflon tape on all threads CLOCKWISE ONLY.
D. Hook up drain tailpiece into trap. You probably will need new washer under slip nut.
E. Turn on water and check for leaks.
That's just the basics, so if you need any further help, just come back and ask on this thread.
Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: