Vibrating Pipes

Old 03-09-12, 05:40 PM
Vibrating Pipes

Every time I run a faucet in the house for more than about 5 minutes (dish washing, showers, etc.), within a few seconds of turning the water off the pipes in the house begin to vibrate for about 20 seconds. What is causing this, and how easy might it be to fix.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-12, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator
I have seen pressure issues cause this and odd sounds from meters and or PRV valves.

Do you have a pressure reducing valve where the main line comes in the home?

Looks like this.

Mike NJ

Old 03-09-12, 07:24 PM
Yes I do. When this first started I suspected the pressure was too high and recently adjusted the PRV to reduce it slightly. It didn't change the symptoms appreciably. I also already drained the pipes and then re-filled them thinking there might be air in the lines.

Is it possible that the PRV is going bad? Is that something that I can replace myself, or would I be wise to get a professional?

Old 03-09-12, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator
I would get a gauge you can hook to a hose bib and check your pressures first.

Yes the PRV can go bad.

You may be able to replace yourself. Depends on your skill set.

Mike NJ

Old 03-10-12, 05:19 AM
Hooking up a pressure gauge seems easy enough, but what am I looking for to diagnose the problem? Too high, too low, or some type of fluctuation?

Thanks.

Old 03-10-12, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator
check pressure when no water is being used, and when water is used. ( Static and dynamic pressures)

We are looking for high pressures or pressures that will show the prv is out of wack.

Mike NJ

Old 03-10-12, 12:59 PM
Static pressure is about 89psi
Dynamic pressure is about 42psi with one or two half ports open.

Does that sound good, or is it an indication that my PRV is shot?

--- edit ---

I think I may have answered my own question. I gave the PRV about 3 turns and the static pressure didn't change one bit. Am I correct in assuming that means the PRV is no longer working?

Thanks.

Last edited by jrrf12; 03-10-12 at 01:39 PM. Reason: added information
Old 03-10-12, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah I would say there is an issue. There are a lot of variables.

89 to 42 is a big swing for city water.

What type of main valve in the home? If a gate valve it could be that its not open all the way.....They like to break also. Sometimes in the middle of open and closed.

Just a not since you have a prv you should have an expansion tank somewhere in the home. That 89 psi can easily rise to well over 100 psi and cause damage to plumbing. It sounds like thats whats happening and you either dont have an expansion tank or the tank is shot.

Since the prv may be old and it has possibly been messed with often, I would go ahead and replace it.

Mike NJ

Old 03-10-12, 03:10 PM
My main shutoff valve is a screw type, so that's not likely the problem. As for an expansion tank, I'm not aware of one unless it's inside a wall, or somewhere else that I don't have access to. I'm not the first owner of this house, so I don't know what's in the walls, and most of the basement is finished.

I may call a plumber just to make sure they check all the possibilities; and because it will likely take me all day to change the PRV knowing that murphy's law will be in full force. I guess if I need a pressure tank to get rid of this problem they may be able to install that as well.

Thanks for your guidance.

Old 03-10-12, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
If you had a expansion tank it would look like this and it would not be concealed.

Tanks are preset to 40 psi in most cases. Air needs to be added to whatever the house static pressure is.

So if you get a new prv and adjust it to 60 psi the you need to add 60psi to the tank.

prv's come with various pre settings. Most are set at 50 psi from my experience. I often tweak them up to about 60 psi.

Mike NJ

Old 03-10-12, 03:35 PM
I definitely don't have one of those. My last house had a large pressure tank needed with well water. It had it's own gauge and you could monitor everything. I thought 60psi was about right, and I could use a little more rather than a little less given some other issues I've got. I've actually got 2 hot water heaters that work in tandem -- it's very strange.

Thanks again!

Old 03-22-12, 08:28 PM
Well, I had the PRV replaced. $500 later the major problem is gone. And I'm sure glad I didn't try this myself because the electrical ground to the house is messed up and the plumber got a significant jolt taking things apart. I no longer hear the whole house vibrating, but I still get some low level vibrating that can last a long time. I thought I may have isolated it to a running toilet. Is that possible?

Thanks.

Old 03-31-13, 11:14 AM
whirlpool water heater vibrating

your new whirlpool water heaters gas burner is a known defect call whirlpool for a replacement burner they will also pay for a plumber to install it to test if it is the burner go to your heater and turn the temp selector to the hottest setting it should start vibrating soon after the burner ignites Hope this helps

Old 03-31-13, 05:54 PM
My water heaters are electric...