Sounds like water running but no leaks or open taps

Old 03-12-12, 08:47 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like water running but no leaks or open taps

I was working in the basement near where the water supply comes in and heard what souded like water running. I was the only one awake in the house, and had nothing running. Checked all possible taps, toilets, icemaker, humidifier, water heater with no leaks. Closed shut off valve and sound stopped. Had a plumber come in and he even shut off the water at the meter. No sound/water in the house, but heard the sound of running water outside at the meter after it was off. Basement dry, ground outside dry, sump where meter is dry. Newest wrinkle is after a while there is a "gurgling" sound in a fitting about 8-10 feet from the shutoff valve. No loss of pressure, no discolored water. Opened a tap and "gurgle" went away. Thoughts? really driving me nuts.

Old 03-12-12, 11:32 PM
V
Try shutting off toilet feed water valves and see if the noise stops.

Old 03-13-12, 12:19 AM
B
After a 1:42 am phone call from the water department (or the KGB - not sure which) and alot of lights and noise, it turns out what I have is an echo of a larger water main break outside. Horray for no bill for me, but no sleep either!

Old 03-13-12, 04:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I'd trade "no sleep" for the cost of that repair any day. Glad it turned out to be on their side, as it would be quite expensive on your side.

Old 03-13-12, 05:55 PM
B
Had City and County here all day, finished at 6:30 or so. Very grateful neighbors thanking me for preventing a much bigger problem. The yard is a wreck and the street has to be patched, but PHEW!!!! Called my Dad and thanked him for making me help him fix things growing up. Has saved me untold thousands of dollars over my 45 years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: