Should I replace aging but working shower valve?

Old 04-09-12, 01:42 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should I replace aging but working shower valve?

Walls are torn out and being re-done. It's an opportunity to replace a 40+ yr old Moen shower valve. But it still works flawlessly. Should I risk a new one that may not be as solidly built as the old ones? All the valve reviews I read have someone who had problems. Maybe I stick with proven quality. Any opinions?

Old 04-09-12, 02:07 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
If it takes standard or easily available seals I'd stick with the trusty old one. It may eventually develop a drip and require a new seal. A new faucet will be new and shiny but would probably use relatively expensive cartridges instead of inexpensive seals & washers like the older faucets.

Old 04-10-12, 07:15 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 160 Votes on 142 Posts
Most (all?) newer shower valves have pressure compensating valves. So when someone flushes the toilet, you don't get scalded by the drop in cold water pressure. I'm not sure if the one you have installed has that.

Not a reason by itself to replace it... just a thought.

Old 04-10-12, 08:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
The modern, balancing shower valves are a big headache in my properties. They are great when they work but the balancing valve is a precision piece with very tight tolerances and is unforgiving of dirt and mineral build-up. If it's city water they love to clog whenever dirt gets in the line water main repairs and if it's in the county hard water mineral deposits are great at freezing that little piston in place.

Old 04-10-12, 02:32 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
If it is a Moen 1200 series single handle then the design hasn't changed in over forty years. The only wearing part is the cartridge and that is easily replaceable.

Old 04-17-12, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I recommend replacing it. Old valves tend to mess with water pressure and water temperature. They ware with age, and replacing it before these problems occur is proactive.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: