Gas Meter Question

Old 04-11-12, 02:32 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Meter Question

I am getting ready to install a tankless water heater. I noticed my gas meter has different size pipe. For example:
1" coming from the groung to the Shut off
3/4" from shut off going into the meter
3/4" from the meter to the hose which is 1"
To my knowledge, that is only letting in gas equivlent to a 3/4 pipe. I assume I going to have to call out the gas company to correct that. Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-12, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
Dont worry about anything else regarding pipe size, except the main going to the house. Which you say is 1" correct?

All other meter pipe size is correct.

How many BTU is the tankless and where are you hooking up the gas line?

Mike NJ

Old 04-11-12, 09:13 PM
T
The tankless is 199K. The heater is going to about 16 feet from the meter. It will have at the most 3 90 degree elbows. I plan on using rigid off a tee from the meter. I always thought when you reduce the line, as in mine, the volume of gas is reduced also. If I had 1" all around and into the house, I would receive more cfh.

Old 04-11-12, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator
Yes you need to tap off the meter.

From the meter on the house side 3/4" should only be a few inches of pipe. Then it increases to 1" and enters the house correct? That is normal.

That part that has a 3/4x1" elbow is where you will put the tee.

Then you run the gas line from there to the tankless.

Do you know what size pipe to run? I dont have my gas chart handy. Can check tomorrow.

Mike NJ

Old 04-12-12, 01:44 PM
T
Thanks Mike NJ. I will run 1" or 1 1 /4". I planned on tee at the house entrance. The pipe coming from the meter into the house is 13" with 1 elbow. Do you know how to post a picture, because I would like to show you.

Old 04-12-12, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Old 04-12-12, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
You need to tap right from the meter for the tank-less. Where it goes from 3/4" to 1".

@ 16 ft to supply 199k Btu you would need 1". 1" @ 20 ft will supply 350k Btu

3/4 supply's 190K btu at 20 ft. You are slightly below. It might be OK to run 3/4" if you are truly under 20 ft, but just run 1" because the price difference is really null. And it may be too close. Be safe and run 1".

Post pics to a free site like photobucket.com, then post the link to those pics back here.

Just to ask, what are your reasons to go tank-less? I as a plumber frown upon them. They are more trouble then good. They do have their place but reasons are often misconstrued.

Homeowners are just plain ill informed about these things.

Mike NJ

Old 04-12-12, 02:48 PM
T
I am putting mine outside. They are very very close to the bathrooms. I had 2 -50 gal w/h and one played out. Now I am down to one and the showers are just to short. I hope to have unlimited hot water. That why I am getting such a large unit and it will supply 9.8 gallons. Also I am thinking about having my gas company come out and take a look at the meter set-up.

Old 04-12-12, 03:15 PM
T
Old 04-12-12, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
You can tap at that tee that's already there.

9.8 gpm for the tankless is under optimal conditions. That's probably at 70f incoming water with a 40f temp rise. that gives you 110f water at 9.8 gpm.

Typical water is around 55f. So that will give you 90f water. So what to do? Turn up the temp of the tankless. Then the gpm goes down by 1/2 at least. Lets say 5 gpm. Then try to run multiple fixtures.

Then you get the hot cold sandwich of the water.

Then you actually need to wait longer for the hot water because the unit turn on by flow.

Then the added expense of repair and install with gas and electric and all.

Two 50 g water heaters and not enough hot water? probably had a dip tube broken on one or both. Simple test to see.

Oh and gas use will probably increase. You most likely will not see savings.

Did I make my point?....LOL

Above are most of the complaints from various homeowners I get. Its not all its cracked up to be.

i will take a tank heater any day....

Just my opinion.

Old 04-12-12, 05:33 PM
D
My brother has had a tankless since he moved into his house 7 or 8 years ago. He has since replaced the original one with a new one. I can't recall him having any issues with it. The old electric water heater that was replaced by the tankless was still in his basement. With the new ground source heat pump installed, that got put back into operation. The heat pump does some hot water heating after the hvac cycle ends. The tank now just preheats the water that goes into the tankless. Just a way to save some $$.

I think the type of unit you buy makes a difference too. The higher end units don't have some of the issues the low end ones do.

Old 04-13-12, 07:32 AM
T
Thanks for the info. I had two 50 gallon that fed one into the other and I had plenty of hotwater. One went out and now I am down to one. One is not enough. Sorry about the confusion. I am not to much concerned about the savings, but saving would be nice. I just know when I have two showers running, I want the hot water not to run out. Lawrosa, are you saying less gpm can/will reduce sandwiching? I figured a higher gpm produces more btu's.

Old 04-13-12, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
Your heaters should be in parallel not series. Plus now that one went out there is no way to isolated the failed tank. Two 50 gallons in parrallel should give about 85 gallons of continuous hot water. That should give you a 68 minute shower minimum. If your in the shower for 68 minutes its just wasteing water IMO.

You have two 50 gallon you say? Also that would mean you may have a soaking tub or whirlpool. Often these faucets at these tubs are upwards of 13 gpm. The tankless will not be able to fill them.

The sanwiching is a normal drawback of a on demand heater. The burner varys trying to maintan temp so it goes hot, cool, hot cool, etc. Then when your in the shower and someone else uses water...Wham!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhh!!!! """"""C'C'C'cold""""""

All said and done once you get the tankless you will know what I am talking about. I feel you will not be happy and will try to justify the cost.

Lets just say I tried to inform you.

Tankless has its place mind you.. I often install them for large familiys with say 6 children. These teenagers all showering in the morning for school and multiple times to go out at night on dates...etc. This is where they become necessity.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike NJ

Old 04-13-12, 03:34 PM
T
No. I had two 50 gallon tanks. One went bad, i removed it and now I have one. Believe it or not, my gas bell went down when I had two. One fed the other and it was nice. Now I have one tank. Let me ask you a question. Just because it is 9.8 gpm, doesn't mean I will use 9.8 gpm. Right? Very seldom we have two showers going. Mostly it is 1 at a time behind each other. I am taking your two cents as good info and I appreciate it. Right now, to replace a 50 gal tank water is going to cost about 600.00 with a 12 year warranty. I can buy a tankless for 800.00 plus the cost valves and supplies. Labor is mine. But thanks for the info. My major concern was the meter.