periodic sewer odor in closet

Old 04-17-12, 06:23 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
periodic sewer odor in closet

I hope you can help me find an answer to my problem. It has persisted for the 9 years we have been in our house. I have a clothes closet adjacent to a full bath in my house, which has a slab foundation. The problem only occurs during the summer and fall, the warmer months. When we are gone from the house for several days or longer, when we first get back and run water, even in the utility room on the other side of the house, a horrible sewer odor, heavy on the ammonia smell, eminates from the closet, and is sometiimes strong enough to move into the adjoining bedroom, and can almost take your breath away. After 15-30 minutes, it goes away as quickly as it came. There is a vent pipe in the closet wall adjacent to the bath, and we have had a plumber test the vent system for cracks/leaks with a smoke test. No leakage anywhere. We have also had a plumber run a camera down the vent pipe into the sewer lines, no issues seen. There is no smell at other times, so a crack in the vent system does not seem likely. When the smell is in the closet it does not seem to be stronger on one side or the other, so i canít get a bead on it. Any help would be appreciated. Iíve had several plumbers look at this and say while they donít have an answer, they proclaim that this is not a plumbing problem.

I have tried to flushe clorex in the toilet to kill bacteria at one time, but it didnít help. We do have moles in our yard and i have seen tracks along the side of the house where the closet is. Soi have suspected moles under the slab thinking i might have a crack in the slab, although there is absolutely no evidence of a crack in our walls, either interior or exterior.

It is very strange. I have asked friends who are knowledgeable of house construction and no ideas.

What do you think?

Old 04-17-12, 02:58 PM
If you have a septic tank or a sewer pipe there could be a blockage. It can even be caused by a frozen vent pipe, during the cold winter months.

Old 04-18-12, 05:21 AM
N
Thanks for comment. the problem shows up only in the hotter summer months. Never happens in winter. Also, this is not a septic system. Don't understand how the smell can periodically be in the closet and not a problem all of the time. I may need to have another camera go down the vent pipe and look for very small cracks.?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: