Clean Shot Drain Opener

Old 05-01-12, 04:18 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clean Shot Drain Opener

I purchased Clean Shot Drain Opener to open up a decent clog that Draino didn't take care of.

We have PVC piping, our house is 7 years old and I'm wondering if using this product is safe for the PVC piping.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-12, 04:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I am not a fan of using caustic solutions to do what you can do manually. Have you cleaned the ptraps, yet? Have you used a snake to try and clear the drain beyond the traps? Caustic solutions will harm septic systems, and generally aren't good to use for municipal systems, either.

Old 05-01-12, 04:45 PM
M
I'm not sure what I p-trap is to be honest. This product does say that it's safe for the septic system.

Old 05-01-12, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
I am with chandler. Chemicals mostly don't work. They only burn a hole in the clog. Temporary fix. They also are dangerous and bad for the environment IMO.

Here are the ingredients.

93% inhibited virgin sulfuric acid

Inhibited virgin sulfuric acid
is activated by water and causes it to heat to 180 degrees or so. I would be leery using on PVC pipe.

I would post back whats clogged and we can guide you further.

I'm not sure what p-trap is to be honest.

A trap is the U bend that are under your sinks. Every fixture in the home has one.

Mike NJ

Old 05-01-12, 07:23 PM
M
Hi,

I thought I had posted that this was for a shower drain, I'm sorry for leaving that out. I don't believe anything like that is accessible as this shower is on the 2nd floor and below is is the 1st floor hallway. I think I'll return the acid and try something less harsh.

I'm open to other DIY suggestions as well. Also, I purchased a hair stopper for the shower drain to help prevent the problem. I believe it's my wife's long hair that is the problem.

Thanks,

Old 05-01-12, 07:52 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you pop off or unscrew the drain cover and look down the pipe with a flashlight, you may see a wad of hair (and soap scum). You may be able to pull most of it out with long needle nose pliers or even a wire hook (think coathanger). Common occurance here.

Old 05-01-12, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Yes as goldtar suggests. Pop off the cover and have a look see.

Then what I do, and showers are easier to unclog, is run the shower. Get a good plunger and fill the shower pan a few inches. Don't let it overflow onto the bathroom floor of course. Then start plunging in a steady rhythm. Get a good suction going, then pull up on the plunger quickly.

Do this several times. It is sometime best to do when taking a shower....LOL. I do this in my own tub because of the wife's long hair.

Upon plunging you may see clumps of hair and stuff come up. Try to grab it before it goes back down, and don't be alarmed if black sludge appears in the pan. Once you get the clog it will all wash down.

Old timers pour baking soda down the drain and follow it with vinegar. makes a lot of bubbles and may work to clear the clog also.

Mike NJ