Gas Line Shut-off Valve Location Dilemma for Fireplace

Old 05-03-12, 05:54 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Gas Line Shut-off Valve Location Dilemma for Fireplace

I'm converting my masonry woodburning fireplace to natural gas. The fireplace is in a room on ground level in a finished room that requires the gas line to be installed on the outside of the house (up under an overhang). My question is - can the gas line shut-off valve be located in an accessable location outside - just before the line enters the firebox? Most codes seem to require the SO valve to be inside the room near the fireplace. Would locating the valve inside the firebox be acceptable or preferred? My plumber seems to think locating the valve outside would be OK.

Old 05-03-12, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
I dont think you can put it outside if its the only valve. You need a key in the home to shut off in a emergency and be able to have access to it.

You need a key like this.

My plumber seems to think locating the valve outside would be OK.
I would maybe find a new plumber.

Makes me wonder where is the gas line for this getting tapped from?

Permits? I am sure the plumber did not take one out. A permit protects you. I highly advise that you take one out asap.

Is this plumber licensed?

Last, why anyone turns a wood fireplace to gas is baffling to me.

Mike NJ

Old 05-03-12, 10:28 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I agree with everything that Lawrosa wrote.

In addition, installing the shut-off valve in the firebox seems just plain stupid to me. What you REALLY need to do is to call you LOCAL "Authority Having Jurisdiction" and ask what the requirements are for your project. Start at the local building department in City Hall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: