window in shower

Old 01-18-01, 10:29 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Help! This is not really a plumbing problem--but I can't find a forum that fits my need.

I have a window in my shower. As soon as we moved in and started using the shower, the water and steam started peeling the paint from the window ledge.

The window itself is fine, but the ledge has lot most of its paint. The ledge is deep (about 4 inches) and we are currently using it to hold shampoo and conditioner bottles.

I wonder if anyone has a solution for how to treat this window for waterproofing while still leaving the window and ledge functional.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-01, 10:50 AM
I personally would prefer the window being outside the shower stall, but I understand that was not your choice. I wonder if an oil based paint, would be more resistant to water /humidity , perhaps someone here could anwser that questions and perhaps provide more options.

Old 01-18-01, 05:57 PM
Paint, moisture and shampoo bottles on a flat surface aren't going to mix very well. I would suggest tiling the window sill.

Old 01-18-01, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by lefty
Paint, moisture and shampoo bottles on a flat surface aren't going to mix very well. I would suggest tiling the window sill.
That is one idea that could very well work, at least for the window sill.

Old 01-18-01, 07:24 PM
Hi, I have rebuilt a few bathrooms with windows in the shower area. They always present a problem. My solution was to cover the sill and the sides with stainless steel.Measure from the window to the edge of the wall then put a one inch 90 degree brake. A sheet metal shop will be able to help you out. Caulk the unit in and you will have a water proof fix. Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 01-18-01, 10:54 PM
That would work too. I would suggest using polyurethane (Vulkem 116 or similar) to attach the S.S., and 100% silicon to seal the joints.

Old 01-19-01, 06:21 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile thanks...

thanks for all the great replies.

I am a first-time homeowner so this repair stuff is all new to me. Where do I find a sheet metal shop? And do I just tell them what the situation is and give them the measurements?

Is there such a things as waterproof/rubberized paint? Would that work as a temporary solution until I get the stainless steel?

Old 01-19-01, 08:53 AM
Check the Yellow Pages for a sheet metal shop. You'll need to provide them with dimensions of the window sill. A sketch might be helpful too. Should only take about an hour for them to make it, but it may take a week before they can start on it. ASK! Call several shops. You should find some combination of 'quick' and 'price' that will work for you.

Old 01-19-01, 11:15 AM
camachinist
Visiting Guest
lisalectka...

What is the material being used for the shower walls around the window...??

Ceramic tile, fiberglass, etc...?

That might have a bearing on your solution and its appearance as part of the whole...

Whatever you choose, make sure that you incoroporate a slight slope, maybe 1/8" or so (higher at the window), into the material you're covering the ledge with...this will promote drainage.

My mother has a 50 year old home with a stall shower which is tiled only 3/4 of the way up and skim coated and painted above, including the ceiling (even has a light!) and she's had no trouble at all with oil-based paint in this environment...I believe it is on its 3rd coat at this juncture. However, the bathroom is well ventilated and she does wipe the shower down after use, which may have promoted its longevity...

Kinda nice having light in the shower though, isn't it...yours I mean..*G*

Good luck!

Pat

Old 01-21-01, 07:02 AM
Visiting Guest
The material surrounding the window is much like Pat described: ceramic tile three-quarters of the way up and then painted. The paint is NOT peeling on the walls-- only where paint is covering wood.

The only place there is wood is the actual ledge that's below the window. The window itself is a vinyl replacement.

There is a slight slope to the ledge (I checked it with my level!) so I don't think water puddling on the ledge is the problem. I think it's just the stream of water from the shower head that actually hits the ledge. The paint started peeling from the front edge and undersurface of the ledge first.

I may try just scraping the remaining paint and repainting with an oil based paint. Several places in our home have less than satisfactory paint jobs done during a remodel before we bought the home. It's possible the paint job just wasn't that great to begin with. Also, wiping the ledge off after every use is a great idea.

Old 01-21-01, 08:22 AM
camachinist
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for the reply...how does the top of the ceramic tile locate in relationship to the window ledge...eg stops below it, even with it, part way up the window, etc..?

Where the paint has peeled, try pushing an awl into the wood in a couple of areas....tell us how it feels and how far the awl penetrates under moderate pressure (like say when your pushing cheese down a grater) Does the wood feel mushy or have an odd color or odor?

The condition of the wood will have a bearing on the soundness of certain repairs and the future condition of the area...

If you have a digital camera and can take a picture of the area, that would help immensely....don't be shy, we've seen it all (likely in our own bathrooms! *G*)

Lastly, what is the general condition of the bathroom and is a remodel of that room on your home improvement horizon...that will also bear on the type of repair which is best for your situation...

Pat