Washing machine "hammer"

Old 05-13-12, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washing machine "hammer"

Got a new washing machine and noticed that the new machine rapidly shuts on/off the water during a cycle. Think my old machine was more gradual? The rubber hose with metal mesh covering "twitch quite a bit and bang the wall") Anyways, I think I need to install an anti hammer device on both the hot & cold. Supply lines have the typical white square box in the drywall, thinking I am going to have to remove some drywall, install a tee ( supply on the bottom, washer feed in the middle and the anti hammer on top)?? How much pipe(PVC) should there be between the tee and the anti hammer device or would just a length of pipe with a cap on top be ok. ?? Tx

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-12, 03:48 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Dead-ended pipes in walls were used for at least a hundred years for hammer arrestors until someone discovered that the air initially trapped was absorbed by the water in a fairly short time. Now they use arrestors that have pistons to separate the air charge from the water. They're fairly inexpensive and available at most mega-mart homecenters. Just install between the existing faucet(s) and the washing machine hoses.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]419[/ATTACH]
(Image courtesy of Lowes.com)

Attached Images  
Old 05-13-12, 04:36 PM
Tx Furd. Does it make any difference if I mount these on the back of the washing machine or should they be mounted on the supply spigots. ?

Old 05-14-12, 01:29 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Shouldn't make any difference.

Old 05-17-12, 05:34 PM
I went over and picked up 2 @ Lowes. The instructions said that they should be mounted on the washing machine as the primary place but mounting them on the faucet was also acceptable. Space requirements dictated that I mount them on the faucet. They work very well and we did 3 washes today without any "hammer" . The hose barely moves when the valves open/close. The product is very well made, (USA) neat soldering joints, appears to be brass and copper.