Any sugestion on locating the right copper pipe to cap it of.

Old 05-20-12, 06:06 PM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Any sugestion on locating the right copper pipe to cap it of.

I have a hot water slab leak.
Yeap, California builders doesn't know how to spell "basement". So, I had a guy come over with his "minesweeper-like equipment" he spent a good hour maybe more and said, the leak is somewhere here.... No daah, that's where the floor is the warmest. I need to know which one of those three pipes on the manifold that enter the concrete slab behind the water heater is the one I need to cap off to rerun the new line.
I have one of those laser thermometers, tried figuring which pipe is the hottest when everything is turned off. Unfortunately it varies, I am kind of blaming the pipe in the middle, it's 5/8" (i think) compare to other 1/2" and 3/4" on each side of it. Judging by the logical usage on those other pipes this one should be the kitchen, but there is no way for me to make sure (at least that I know of) that this pipe is it.
Help if you can

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-12, 08:31 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 128 Votes on 119 Posts
I don't know of any way to figure it out without actually shutting off one of the lines. Might there be an easy way of adding shutoff valves to each pipe coming out of the manifold? If so, you could turn them off one at a time and watch the water meter. I'd think installing three shutoffs might be easier than picking the wrong one!

Also, I doubt you have a 5/8" line. It's probably 1/2" or 3/4".

Old 05-20-12, 10:04 PM
N
Thanks,

It's a good idea. I don't think the clearance will allow me to install the valves unless I start messing with the whole manifold. I agree, still a better way to go than just picking a wrong pipe.

Old 05-22-12, 08:23 PM
N
my fault

I screwed up (again)

i.e. I started cutting the wrong pipe. I was "measuring" instead of questioning of my choice of pipe. It turns out it is the cold water supply line. As soon as it's started spraying under pressure when my hot water side was actually off, I knew I messed up. Now I don't have neither hot nor cold water

Any suggestions how to fix the cold water pipe leak.. It's pretty much nicked by my hacksaw blade. I went o HD and bought couple of sealing kits for pipes. But the wrap tape they sold me (i kind of new it would not work) is leaking all over the place. I also bought Rector seal pipe repair kit, but a. I am not sure it includes everything it suppose to have b, If I repair the pipe using the goop like this, I may never be able to solder the pipe if it needs to be done later. It's in the tight spot and I don't have any extra "meat" to cut of the pipe.
Thanks!

Old 05-23-12, 08:44 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 128 Votes on 119 Posts
For a quick-fix, you should be able to use a pipe fix kit that has a rubber tube and metal clamp. The clamp tightens around the tube to seal the pipe. I wouldn't use it for the long term, but to get water back running it should work. I've never had any luck with tape or goop.

Can you get a compression fitting on it? If you cut it too close to the manifold, I'm not sure what you can do for a secure seal. If it's a really small hole, maybe a small glob of solder... but I'm not sure I'd trust it.

Maybe a picture would help?