Frozen/Clogged Drain

Old 01-19-01, 08:06 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

We have a separate drain for our washing machine. Last evening, water backed up when the washer was draining, is is possible that the drain may be partially frozen? Although the water evenutally drained, we have never had this happen before. When looking down the pipe, we can notice some water but do not know if this is "normal". Our washer is used often, every other day, and we have never had this problem in the five years we have been here. Can you help?

Old 01-19-01, 08:39 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The line is getting plugged up, and will need cleaned out, you can rent a machine or call in a plumber to do this, renting and trying it yourself can be troublesome.

Plumber2000

[Edited by Plumber2000 on 01-19-01 at 03:01]

Old 01-19-01, 11:15 AM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The drain may be frozen, depending on where you live and what the weather has been like. If you can access the drain piping, try warming it with a hair dryer (DO NOT USE AN OPEN FLAME OR TORCH), and see if the water level goes down. You might also try pouring boiling water down the drain pipe.

If this does not work, the drain is most probably clogged with lint. Before I called Roto-Rooter or a plumber, I'd buy a cannister drain cleaning tool (

Old 01-19-01, 12:08 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I doubt the line is frozen, for one the water does go out, but at a slow pace, the water they probably see there is in the trap, which will always have water in it.

A canister type snake is a long shot to clear a laundry drain, most laundry drains are 60+ feet, and a machine snake with full circle cutter will be the best shot at a successful cleaning.

The washer it's self pumps out water fast and punching a small hole through a blockage will not be good enough, even if you got it to drain good once. it will not take long to plug back up again.

Plumber2000

Old 01-19-01, 12:26 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
PLUMBER 2000 might be right, and a cannister type snake will not work on this drain. However, they do work on multiple drain problems, and probably not a bad investment for every homeowner.

As to "it will not take long to plug back up again", this is also probably true if they keep sending all of the lint from the wash, down the drain. That is why I posted and referenced the tip in Tips and Tricks Forum, it can be prevented.

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always gotten!!

Insanity is when people do the same things they have always done, and somehow expect a different result NEXT TIME.

Rick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: