Copper Pipe Repair Question

Old 06-05-12, 07:19 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Copper Pipe Repair Question

Hi - wondering what the best option(s) are for repairing a burst 1/2" copper pipe. I don't have much experience working with copper, so I'd like to avoid the solder & propane torch route. I hear there are couplings you can use that just push on and attach (e.g. Sharkbite), but not sure if they're any good.

Can anyone vouch for these? Are they a good option or more trouble than they're worth.

thanks,
rmcd

Old 06-05-12, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
How did the pipe burst, or how big is the hole?

Yes shark bite fittings are a good option, but as long as they are in an open visible area. I like them as a temporary fix until a proper repair can be made.

I have seen some leak in the past because of overseas production tolerances. Plus the pipe needs to be cleaned and not egged.

You may need to use two and a piece of pipe if a large section of damage needs to be cut out.

Hope this helps.

Mike NJ

Old 06-06-12, 04:35 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 161 Votes on 143 Posts
Really, your only options are a SharkBite type coupler or soldering a repair. You may find other repair kits at your local store (rubber clamps, special tape, etc), but stay away from all of them!

If you do go the SharkBite route, be sure to follow the instructions about marking the pipe and how far to insert it. I've seen them fail when not installed properly (which makes sense)

Old 06-06-12, 06:58 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I've never used a Sharkbite coupling, and never heard of them until recently. I have successfully repaired copper supply pipe using compression couplings. The challenge will be to get everything fitted together before tightening down, IMX.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: