Dripping Sound in Wall

Old 06-07-12, 09:11 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dripping Sound in Wall

Hey guys,

I've been hearing a bit of a dripping sound behind my bathroom wall for a few weeks now. A buddy of mine told me it was probably just expansion or water dripping inside the pipes since I had not seen any damage.

When I stand in the bathroom and turn on water, I can hear this drip drip drip that gradually slows and goes away. I tried filling up the sink, but didn't hear the sound when the water drained. I then noticed that I am hearing it whenever water is used anywhere in the house. Again, it's a dripping sound that gradually slows down and goes away. If someone uses the sink in the kitchen, I can hear the sound in the bathroom.I do not see any water damage on the floor or under the house.

Any ideas?

This might sound dumb, but when water comes in to the house through the pipes, doesn't it have to go up through the pipe to enter the house? Could the dripping sound simply be the water dripping back into the pipe.

Also, if it's a leak in the supply line, wouldn't it leak all the time, not just when I run water?

Any help is appreciated.

Ryan

Old 06-08-12, 03:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums Ryan!

The water pipes would have water [under pressure] all the time. I'd keep an eye on it because if it is a leak the evidence will show up sooner or later. I have a closet or maybe bedroom wall that sounds like water dripping every now and again - but there is no plumbing even close to that wall.

Old 06-08-12, 05:17 AM
I
Thanks for the reply. I was listening to it again this morning, and I am certain it doesn't make a noise when the water is actually running, but once I shut it off, it drips a bit. It's not a drain problem though; I know that for sure.

Thanks again.

Old 01-22-13, 07:48 PM
O
Bump

Were you able to resolve this? I'm experiencing the same issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: