Update on Pex vs CPVC

Old 06-12-12, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Update on Pex vs CPVC

I saw an old thread on Pex vs CPVC, but it was from 2005 and things have changed a lot. I'm running a new line from the main through to the water heater-bathroom-kitchen. Usually I would do all of this myself, but insurance is paying for part of it so I called in the plumber. I want to do PEX, but he want's to do CPVC,saying that the Pex fittings are unreliable .

Personally, I love Pex and have yet to have a problem with the bunch of times I have used it. I have had 2 failures with CPVC over the years, but I didn't put those systems together so the verdict is still out for me.

Anybody out there who can speak with knowledge on both products?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-12, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Stay away from CPVC in my opinion.

Pex all the way.....

Your plumber either never used pex or dont have to tools to do it.

Its easier to glue fittings I would assume then crimp a bunch of connections. Possibly he is lazy.

Mike NJ

Old 06-13-12, 05:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 601 Votes on 555 Posts
PEX, PEX, PEX.

It sounds like your experience already mirrors mine. I can think of several CPVC failures and PEX has been bullet proof. When plumbing repairs are needed on my rental properties CPVC, galvanized and copper all get removed and replaced with PEX. Whenever a hours gets a major renovation all the old plumbing is removed and replaced with PEX. One big benefit I've found is that PEX does not seem to be hurt by freezing. If a house is vacant in the winter we just make sure the faucets are drained and don't bother removing the water in the lines.

Old 06-13-12, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Lawrosa,I was thinking the same thing as you about the plumber.Pilot Dane, you must be a mind reader, this is for a rental property.

Old 06-13-12, 01:16 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
As long as your building code allows it (most do), I would go PEX as well.

Old 06-14-12, 01:03 PM
My last question on Pex 3/4 or 1/2

Thanks again for everyone advise. I do have one extra issue. The water coming into the house is 1/2" copper. In the house interior I have always installed 3/4" main reduced to 1/2" at the t's to the sinks and bathrooms.

Would you guys install 3/4" main line in the house assuming that someday the water line coming in would be switched to 3/4". It would be a pain the the butt to someday have the change the backflow preventor and the expansion tank etc.

Old 06-14-12, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
How many baths?

I would run a 1" main line if more then one bath. Run 3/4" Mains if one bath. Heck with 1/2" coming in I would probably run 1" to get better volume.

Mike NJ

Old 06-14-12, 04:18 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 601 Votes on 555 Posts
I would do your usual and run 3/4" trunk lines through the house and drop to 1/2" as you T off to fixtures. That way the house is pre-plumbed for better flow when the 1/2" line to the house needs replacing. I have a track hoe that is great for accidentally finding the water main forcing a line replacement.