Need help with a vent pipe issue (not Boot)

Old 06-12-12, 08:22 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help with a vent pipe issue (not Boot)

Ok everyone. I have searched I don't know how many pages of stuff and can't find my problem.I have a 50+ year house, with acidic water and copper vent pipe. It had a 3" leak a few years ago in the kitchen vent pipe that I put a rubber union on it to do a repair. I knew it was going to happen again.... The issue is that there is are cabinets and a counter in front of the pipe. I can't see low enough in the wall to see where the leak is, but water is draining on the floor. I know I need to get the counter and cabinet out of the way, but is there a flange fix or expansion pipe trick that I can use and replace the vent with PVC, or is there something more substantial? I am pretty sure that somewhere under the concrete slab there is a terracota pipe but I don't know what is in between. What am I going to get into once I get started.

Old 06-12-12, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Is it a vent or a drain line?

Is it copper piping that goes into the slab? It may be leaking right where the concrete meets the copper if it was not sleeved or protected.

You will probably need to remove the cabinet if this is the case. And most likely break up some soncrete.

Let us know when you get that far.

Mike NJ

Old 06-13-12, 04:34 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
lawrosa
as the water exits the sink its PVC somewhere behind the wall it changes to copper, Connects to the vent pipe which is copper and goes down to the slab. The washing machine used to connect to the vent pipe as well but I had to reroute it (now waters the flowers) Then I capped it off. I was hopping to find out at what point on a '64 house would it turn into the terracotta pipe? I am hoping that I won't have to chip out concrete to do the fix. If it is leaking right at the slab (I think it is) is there a quick fix like they have for a closet flange ( the one that you turn the flange and there is a rubber ring that expands?)

Is it copper piping that goes into the slab? It may be leaking right where the concrete meets the copper if it was not sleeved or protected.
I am pretty sure that there was no sleaving of pipes going into concrete in the 60's /70's

You will probably need to remove the cabinet if this is the case. And most likely break up some soncrete.
Just trying to get all my stuff together before I have to rip out a wall and make a bunch of trips to the hardware store.

Let us know when you get that far.

Mike NJ

Old 06-13-12, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Well you could just cut the back of the cabinet out to have a look see. If there is a back of the cabinet. And cut out what ever wall is exposed.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: