Waterheater

Old 01-20-01, 05:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I currently have a 50 gallon Craftmaster water heater. It is about 3 years old. 3 weeks ago, I had to replace the nipple connections that allow flex hot and cold water pipes be connected to the water heater. There was alot of rust in them. Since then, I have been having two problems:
1. Everytime we take a shower or use the hot water, the pressure relief valve releases water from the water heater.
2. During the shower, we have to constantly adjust the hot water in order to maintaine same temporature.
Could somone tell me what the problem could be and how I could resolve it?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-01, 06:28 PM
Cool

peppy,
I'm not a plumber, but I think that your problems are caused by rust particles.
When you replaced those galvanized nipples, you dislodged rust that has lodged in your pressure release valve and in your diverter (cartridge?) valve.
To correct it, you either have to flush or replace your pressure relief valve, and clean out or replace your diverter valve.
The pro plumbers here may have other thoughts that can help you solve the problems, too. That's just mine.
Good Luck!

Old 01-20-01, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by peppy918

1. Everytime we take a shower or use the hot water, the pressure relief valve releases water from the water heater.

2. During the shower, we have to constantly adjust the hot water in order to maintaine same temporature.
Could somone tell me what the problem could be and how I could resolve it?

thanks
Question #1, water comes out of the T&P valve when water gets turned on? this makes no sense to me, only time water would come out of the valve is if there is thermo-expansion taking place, or the tempature gets too hot,

If it's Thermo-expansion taking place thet you need to have installed a Thermo-expanion tank If you have not had this problem in the past then chances are you don't need the tank.

Is it getting to hot? If too hot replace the upper and lower thermostats.

Question #2, That one sounds more like you don't have pressure balance valves in your house. Pressure balance valves keep to water at a constant temp, without ajusting to water.

Hope I helped you out.

Plumber2000

[Edited by Plumber2000 on 01-21-01 at 06:28]

Old 01-20-01, 11:01 PM
I assume that the leakage occurs just after the shower is over, rather than during the shower. Is this what you meant?

If the only time this leaks is after significant hot water usage, then read on.

Some cities and water companies are beginning to install backflow preventers in the line to your house. This creates a closed system in your house, which wasn't the case before these backflow preventers. When you take a shower and fill the water heater with cold water, as it heats up it expands, thus increasing pressure, and thus forcing some water out the temperature/pressure valve.

Call your water company and ask if there is a backflow preventer in the line. If so, install an expansion tank as Plumber2000 shows. It might also work to reduce the temperature of your water heater, and/or install a pressure reducing valve in your supply line. However, you may or may not then still need the expansion tank.