slow kitchen sink

Old 06-23-12, 05:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
slow kitchen sink

Hi all, I have a double basin kitchen sink. When I run water on one side of the sink, the other side will start to fill up. I have to shut off the water and wait for both sides to empty before I can finish washing dishes. I do not have a dishwasher or garbage disposal. The kitchen sink is the only sink I have issues with. Is there anything I can put down the drain to clean/dislodge what ever may be down the drain? We checked the vent-nothing. We ran a snake-nothing. This is the original metal piping from when the house was built 55 years ago.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-12, 06:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 230 Votes on 212 Posts
You did not mention where you ran the snake, but your problem does not sound vent related. I would remove the drain plumbing under the sink. Quite often the trap and horizontal run to the wall will clog and luckily it's easy to access and clean out.

Old 06-23-12, 07:38 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
I second Pilot Dane's suggestion.

It will also be a good time to check your old drain pipes for leaks. You'd be suprised to see that it had been leaking, and you didn't notice.

Old 06-23-12, 09:36 AM
Take a picture of the piping below and how it to us. It may not be piped correctly. How long do you have to wait for the other side to drain out? Does it drain slowly?

Old 06-24-12, 02:07 PM
There are no leaks at all. The plumbing is original to the house (55 years). The water starts to come up on the other side of the basin and I have to shut the water off and wait 2-5 minutes for it to go down on both sides. Like I said before it is just slow going. Today I bought stuff to put in my toilet to kill the roots that are in the sewer line. I am on a public sewer line. I had a sewer issue and they roto'ed roots out a few years ago. I don't have trees but 2 doors over they have many trees and the roto guy said that there were roots in my system. I don't know if this is causing the issue or not. I would think not because my sink and tub have no issues with backing up. All my plumbing is on one side the house with my kitchen being the furthest over.

We took out the U trap under the sink and ran the snake from that point to the basement. Like other posts I read, we may have just pushed thru a clog but then it sealed itself back up. I was thinking of getting some drain cleaner that is supposed to clean the pipes as well as disolve what is in the pipes. I don't like using chemicals if I don't have to. A few years ago this sink clogged up at Thanksgiving. I went to the hardware store and the guy sold me some "professional" cleaner but the house stunk of sulfer for a few days. I don't want that smell again.