Water level in upstairs toilets low

Old 01-20-01, 11:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

We have moved into a new house (5 yrs old) and after about six months of use the toilets upstairs both seem to have unusual water levels. They fill up normal when flushed, but within 5 to 10 minutes the water drains down to about 3/4 of the normal full level. We have noticed that these toilets clog really easy when we have a lot of house guests. We found out that this is because they are water saving toilets required in the state of CA. Anyway, thank you for your help in advance. We are just puzzeled as to why this is happening, and want to fix this if we can. Also the downstairs toilets are normal and stay normal after sitting.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-01, 11:20 PM
Since this is happening in both toilets, it sounds like a partially clogged vent or waste line. You'll have to get on the roof to check the vent(s) for the toilets. Run a water hose with a brass nozzle down the vent(s) to clear them. Snaking out the waste line(s) will require a power snake and probably removing the toilets to get into the line. You can either do-it-yourself or call a drain cleaning service or a plumber. That's your call.

Old 01-21-01, 02:13 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink What do the vents look like?

This sounds easy enough. I would like to do it myself! Can you tell me how to tell which vents are the toilet vents? Also do I need to do both clearing of the vents and the snake? Thank you! I really appreciate you help!
~Jennifer

Old 01-21-01, 03:19 PM
On a 5 year old house, a vent pipe probably looks like a piece of inch and a half or 2" pipe (probably PVC) sticking out of the roof 2 to 6 inches. They will probably be located over the bathrooms, or maybe in-between them.

First look down it for leaves/pine needles, etc. and remove all of these that you can. Then run the hose down it.

This is the cheap and easy fix. Do this first and see if it solves your problem. If not, then you will need to snake the lines, as Lefty said.

Old 01-21-01, 05:51 PM
arkayassoc has told you about all any of us can without actually seeing the house. The pipe will be 2" ABS, and probably painted to match the roof color. I wouldn't worry about making sure you have the exact one -- run the hose through all of them you see over the bathrooms while you are on the roof.

Old 01-22-01, 01:18 PM
One word of caution, only run the hose in the ones 2" or smaller. A larger one might be vent for ceiling fan in your bathroom, and running water thru it ain't gonna make you happy.