Washing machine shutoff valve...DIY or plumber?

Old 06-30-12, 06:21 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Washing machine shutoff valve...DIY or plumber?

The shutoff valve for my washing machine drips when open and is secure when closed. The leaks come from the base of the valve lever (as though the spindle O-rings are shot).

Wrapping it with a towel when I use the washing machine is enough to prevent the drips from reaching the floor, but it's obvious that this valve has had it and I ought to fix this ASAP:

I've been looking at PDF diagrams of this kind of valve. Other message boards have implied that by shutting off the water to the house, draining the water from the hoses, and then removing those two big front-facing screws I might be able to replace the valve assembly without having to cut the elbows free from the copper feeder pipes and then sweating in the replacement.

Is this something I can replace myself, or should I call in the pros? I'm an experienced DIY'er. I've taken apart and fixed this machine three times, and I have no fear of the inside of a toilet tank. I also really like learning new things. But I know that when a plumbing-related repair escalates from "wrenches, screwdrivers, and teflon tape" to "saw, propane torch, flux, and solder" it's time to bring in someone less likely to flood out the house.

Old 07-01-12, 06:13 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't think that a plumber would rebuild the valve. He would probably replace it. If the pipes are threaded into the valve, you can use shark bite couplings, to avoid sweating the pipes.

Old 07-02-12, 06:42 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Unless there's something especially odd about that particular valve, you should be able to just unscrew those two screws and replace the entire valve. I bought one a few years ago at Home Depot, I assume they still have them. Once you remove the screws, you'll see how the rest of it just threads on.

Old 07-05-12, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Yes you can just replace the valve as you describe with no soldering.

That's a standard whats valve from what I can tell. Be sure to replace the o rings front and rear of the valve.

175C Single Handle Washing Machine Shutoff Valve, Washing Machine Shutoff Valves, Brass & Tubular - Watts

Here are the install instructions. There are nice diagrams.

http://media3.wattswater.com/1915937.pdf

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: